Pork Butts and My First Overnight Smoke (long)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
My WSM never ceases to amaze me!

As family and friends gathered for the long Thanksgiving weekend, it was suggested that leftovers - universally agreed to be as much a part of the tradition as the turkey itself - just weren't in order this year, what with so many of us gathering together for the first time in six or eight years. One family member that has spent considerable time in the Carolina's, suggested I fire up the WSM and smoke up some pork butts for the crowd. I had planned on smoking two butts Saturday to serve for lunch Sunday for those still around. However, it was suggested that I put four butts on the smoker for Friday night and make it a big party.

Wednesday, I sent two of the more intrepid of our group out to the market to fetch two more butts and another Taylor digital thermomator. And I set about planning and constructing a new wind screen (details in another post.) My sister, who'd been skimming my smoke-log and recipe book, suggested I do a couple of different finishing sauces.

Thanksgiving morning, I whipped together three finish sauces; a mustard-based sauce (smooth and mild), a vinagar-based NC sauce (tangy and hot), and a tomato-based Memphis sauce (sweet with a kick). Later in the evening, I rubbed two of the butts with a basic BBQ rub, and the other two with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder.

The WSM was fired up at 10:00 PM Thanksgiving night using 3/4 of a chimney of hot Kingsford over a very full grate of unlit briquettes.
Three chunks of oak were added, the water pan filled to the brim, and the smoker assembled. When the smoker temp reached 250 degrees, I added the butts - two on each grate - and erected my new home-made wind screen.

It took about two hours for the temperature to stabilize at about 240 degrees, after which I topped off the waterpan and went to bed. It was 1:30 AM.

Morning broke late due, in part, to cloud cover and a few beers consumed while getting the show started the night before. At 7:45 am, the WSM was smokin' away at 265 degrees.
I pulled the cover off the smoker and pulled the butts out to baste, turn, swap grates, and insert the temp probes. The water was replenished at this time as well. Internal temp at this point was in the 150 degree area.

To cut to the chase... I wound up smoking the butts until both thermometers read 190 degrees, which equaled about 3:00 pm or 16 hours after the butts met the grills. Wrapped in foil and put in a cooler, they were all pulled at 5:00pm and served at six. There was enough pork to satisfy thirty or so people with some left over to be taken home with a few guests. They were, modestly, the best butts I've made to date.

Don't be afraid to try an overnight cook on your WSM. Once the temp stabilizes, it'll chug along for hours with little if any tweaking. And the results will be very rewarding.

Peace. Out.

Alan

Alan --

Nice review! Glad it went well for you.

I do have one question. Was the water you filled the pan with hot or cold? Was the water you topped off the pan with hot or cold? --

OK, I've exceeded my stated number of questions! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Walt,
Thanks for the compliment.
The water used to fill the water pan initially was hot tap water. Just what I've always done. Subsequent replenishments were with boiling water - or at least boiling when I took it from the stove and schlepped it outside into the 30 degree night, and added it to the pan. As a rule, I never add cold water out of fear it's going to bring the temp of the smoker down too far. Just personal preference...

Peace. Out.

Alan

Way to go Alan !! I also have done over night smokes with butts... Once I was able to feel good about doing them during the day, I tried the night... It is the only way to go...
Do you use the larger Brinkman water pan ? I do on these long smokes - and found it to be real helpful. You said they took about 16 hours... How much did the butts weigh? I think what's cool is that if you have one 8 lb. butt or three 8 pounders, it takes no longer...
I, like you, am continued to be amazed by the WSM...
I have done fried turkeys the past 12 years or so for Thanksgiving, but I am planning to do a smoked one either this weekend or next... Think I am going to try the Honey Brined turkey on the web site...
Thanks for the post and the report.. Continued good luck and success !!

Thanks for the compliments, Gary.

I don't use the Brinkman water pan - just the standard one that came with the WSM. Two reasons for that really. First is that I've never really needed a larger water pan. My smoking log shows that on all my cooks, I've replenished the water when I've had the lid of for turning, basting, etc. I've never run dry. The second reason is that I have two Volkswagen Buses that need parts far more than my WSM /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The butts I smoked this time were 7.01, 7.24, 5.52, and 6.18 pounds each. I figured fourteen to sixteen hours, based on previous cooks and the internal temp I wanted to achieve.

I've never fried a turkey. But after reading some of the post-Thanksgiving posts here I'm darn sure going to smoke one. Going to try the Apple Brine with a little Basic BBQ rub sprinkled on the bird. Perhaps next weekend...

Peace. Out.

Alan

Alan,
I'm sure you tasted them as you pulled, did you notice any difference in taste between the butts with bbq rub and the butts with salt and pepper?

Dave,
You bet I tasted them as they were pulled!!! IMO, there was a very distinct difference in taste between the BBQ rub and the others. The bark on the ones with the rub was very dark and had a bit of a zing to it. Not overpowering, mind you, but there. The butts with just salt, pepper, and garlic didn't have the zing but were tasty nonetheless. 'Course, the smoke may effect each differently. And in a stunningly dense moment, one of my pulling helpers just threw all the pork into one big bowl, mixing the BBQ rubbed butts with the others. Couldn't tell the difference at that point...

Peace. Out.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back