Pork butt what the heck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
I am cooking a pork butt now little over 4 lbs and it has cooked for 10 1/2 hours and is still was only 177 degrees! I just wrapped it in foil and towels and put it the cooler. It seemed kind of dry when I took it out. I had too much charcoal in it and the grate temp was about 267 or so. I can not believe it should take so long! What the heck is going on?

Sounds odd to me.
I normally plan on 2 hours per pound plus 1 hour at a cooking temp of 250 (that would be 9 hours for a 4 pound butt). This usually gets me to 190 without any problems. It will stay around the 160-170 mark for a long time so you do have to be patient.
Did you use the water pan? Did you lift the lid any during the process? Did your temp "spike" either up or down? Were you measuring temp at the lid or grill level?
Go back and read the pork butt write-up in the "Let's Cook" section and see if that helps. Just keep trying.

Temperature got to 265 at the grate level. Stayed there for the most part. Opened the lid twice. Did not use a water pan. Funny you mentioned that a 4 lb butt would take 9 hours because that is how long my last one took WITH the water pan. Surprised it took longer without it and the butt was a little more dry than my previous one. I got tired and took it out at 177 and wrapped it in foil and then towels and put it in a cooler for about 45 minutes. It was certainly OK but not as juicy as the previous one I did.

Keep the pan in and keep it dry, pork butt is great on this machine - don't give up.

I have been having trouble sleeping as of late and I keep watching late night tv shows regarding aliens - maybe you were "snatched away" for an hour or two you are not aware of?.

Best wishes to all,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back