Pork Butt Question

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I am smoking a pork butt right now with my brother shawn244 right now. Our question is the current temp of the WSM we started using MM and barried some apple chips just to use them up. We have had the pork butt on since 8:00pm and or temp has spiked to 266 for the last 20 min. I think it may be the result of the barried wood chips. We are having a tough time getting the temp down any suggestions?

This is too late to help but the temp control is a factor of oxygen control. Limit the the air and you limit the heat. I doubt the chips are the answer. Usually the only time I have temp problems I have opened the wsm. If you use water in the pan-make sure you have not run out of water.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
If you use water in the pan-make sure you have not run out of water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet Another reason sand is of the Devil...

Export the Beach, Use Sand!!!!

Royal and Ancient Sand Appreication Society
Pat Trammell
Royal Vicar of Sand

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
barried some apple chips just to use them up. We have had the pork butt on since 8:00pm and or temp has spiked to 266 for the last 20 min. I think it may be the result of the barried wood chips. We are having a tough time getting the temp down any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This happens to me on occasion depending on what I've burried and how dry it is. If there is enough air coming in dry wood, in particular, can combust quickly giving you flames and all. I try to burry smaller stuff so that when and if it occurs I can just leave it alone till it burns itself out; I don't bother with the vents unless the temp spikes over 300 which, because the stuff I burry is small, is a very rare occurrence. Temps in the upper 200s aren't a concern for butts, imo. The big deal is not to open the door and mess with it at that stage. Leave it alone or close the vents and be patient (I do the former most often). I don't burry wood for stuff that's more temp-sensitive.

I light the chimney with a turkey fryer, so it sits on the cooker until ready to go into the WSM.

How common is a turkey fryer amongst everybody? The speed at which is lights and ashes is amazing.

~ Sean

Back