Pork Butt on WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
Hi-

I smoked my 2nd pork butt on my WSM I got 3 weeks ago. This time I did an overnite smoke using the Minion method..worked very well given the temperature went into the 20s overnight....was still at 235 at 4:30am...but at 180 when I got up at 7am (wireless thermometer at bedside if you are wondering).

However, both of these butts had the same problem..once I got to 165F...it took FOREVER to increase the temperature! I finally took this latest butt out of the smoker after 19 hrs and it was at 175F. I put it into my 350F oven while I was cooking some sweet potatoes etc..for another 45 mins until it hit 195-200F. This worked very well and the end product was excellent.

I dont know how you can get it to 190+ in the smoker...it just doesnt get there.... (I kept it in the 225-250F temp range)

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks-

Jim, I average 18 hours with a 7-8 lb. boneless butt. My target temp is usually 225-235-but sometimes I cook at 250 or 220. You can let your butt sit out at room temp before firing up the charcoal...Best bet is to plan for 18 hours or so, then rest for an hour or so and then pull. As you already know, the oven is a good back up. Also, many will use foil to speed things up; I have not tried that as yet.

Jim

"Stubborn butts" can take up to 24 hrs to cook. I generally run the temp in the WSM between 250 and 300.Butts can have a tedency to plateau for what seems like forever then they move on up to your target range of 190 - 195. Sometimes I throw in some lump charcoal at the end and let the water pan run low to get the temps in the smoker up so as to persuade the meat temp to move.

I have done quite a few butts now. Probobly a half dozen. Not a guru by any means. I have yet to have problems getting the temp to 200. There is a plateau though. I forget what it is I think about 170.

Brisket however I can't seem to get above 165 with out foiling. Maybe the outside temp has something to do with it. I haven't done a butt since the temp dropped off. So I can't really speak from experience on that.

Bark is formed by rub and meat juices that mix and cook, this going on bigtime during the stall. Ideally you don't foil till later in the cook cause the foil profits bark formation.

During the stall as the cells of the meat break they release their moisture causing the stall. Once the number of cells that can breakdown is reduced the internal temp starts to climb again.
Foiling does speed up the process but you are giving up bark.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I dont know how you can get it to 190+ in the smoker...it just doesnt get there.... (I kept it in the 225-250F temp range)
Thanks- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really Jim...it just takes a long time. There are 2 plateaus you can hit during the cook. The first is in the 160's and the second is in the 180's. Remember, BBQ is on it's own time schedule...it is not to be rushed or be finsihed with the broccoli or something. Just make sure you give yourself ample time to finish and then, if it is finished even 4 hours early, you can warp it in foil and put it in a dry cooler to rest and wait. It will still be nice and hot and ready for you and your guests or family to eat!

Good Job and keep on a Q'in!!

Thanks Guys...I was just amazed that I started this at 9pm and pulled it out at 4:30pm still at 175. The recipes I have seen were finished 2-3 hrs earlier and I pulled it 20 deg early!

I guess next time I will just start at 4pm and if it takes until 4pm the next day, it can.

Although, pulling it at 175 and putting in the oven to get to 200 gave excellent results.

BTW, I never foiled it until after the oven when keeping it warm prior to pulling and serving.

I served it without sauce and put a Southern Sop (vinegarly), and two tomatos based sauces on the table for everyone to add to their likening.

I trimmed this butt more of fat and either that or the fact I put in oven to 200 made it much less greasy, which everyone liked much better.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back