Pork butt - Nirvana achieved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Funk

TVWBB Member
My third attempt at "The Renowned Mister Brown" was a TOTAL success!! Finally!! My first attempt was marred by lack of knowledge - I took the meat off at 175* internal. This board corrected me on that error (thank you). My second attempt failed because I was not able to get the meat past 170* or so after 14 hours. I had to finish it in the (GASP!) oven. I was crushed.

Saturday night was different. I decided to try an overnight cook using the Minion method. I was stunned with how well this worked. I used a full unlit fire chamber, sprinkled with about 25 or so lit briquettes and then some hickory hunks on top of that. The smoker came right up to 250* lid and stayed there. I was now prepared to cook and cook and cook until I reached the magic 195* point. I started at 5pm and I could let it cook for 24 hours if I had to! This time I refused to fail!! I went to bed at about midnight. I borrowed my mother-in-law's temperature probe transmitter/receiver unit, which I placed in the top butt. This was FABULOUS! As I tossed and turned all night, I could look at the receiver with one eye and see how the cook was going. It had a 'low temp alarm' feature which I enabled so I would know if the fire went out. Anyway, at about 6am, I peeked at the receiver and it said 190*! Hey, I'm almost there!!!! I jumped out of bed and checked out the smoker. Lid temperature was down to 220* (not bad!). I gently stirred the coals and opened the bottom vents all the way. Fifteen minutes later, lid temp was up to 300*!! Yikes! I closed all the vents, and it quickly fell to 260*. And then about 20 minutes later, the internal meat temperature got to 196*. I made it!!! When I tried to pick the meat up with my tongs, I knew there was something very different about these butts. They were literally falling apart as I tried to pick them up. This was looking promising! I wrapped them up in foil and let them rest for an hour. Then the moment of truth. I started pulling them. The meat just flaked off into wonderful chunks. Everything was moist and juicy and the meat had almost a sweet taste that just melted in your mouth. And there was a nice deep very pronounced smoke ring. WOW!!! Now *this* is what it is supposed to be like. My guests that night were floored. They had never had anything so good!

Yipppppeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dave Funk

David,
What a great story! My mouth is watering. It makes me want to try to cook my first pork butt. I've been hesitant, because of the long cook time, but your story made it sound easy. Looks like I know what I'm cooking next weekend.

Did you ever have to add more charcoal?

I love this group!

Brian............Go Bills!

Buffalo Brian,

Nope - never had to add charcoal. The cook time was about 14 hours. At the end, there was hardly any charcoal left, but there was still lots of energy in there.

Brian,

Go ahead and try an overnighter; it takes the time pressure off. This is the only way I do butts now. The trick is to use the Minion method with a full charcoal ring, and only add 10-15 lit coals on top. The small amount of lit coals causes a very gradual ignition of the unlit coals, allowing very long cooks. I just dump the lit coals on top, add smoke wood and the meat, set the vents and go to bed. I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Steve

Dave,
How big was the pork butt?

Did you ever have to add more water?

Brian

One of the most used tools I have is a very large Dexter International commercial burger flipper from a Catering supply store. For handling Butts, well cooked ribs and almost anything else I would not be without it.

Great story, David! Congratulations! Now, you'll have many more successes and, perhaps, a failure, or two. BUTT, you can eat them all! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Give it a whirl, Brian. A pork butt or shoulder is very forgiving.

Buffalo Brian,

I actually smoked *two* 6 pound pork butts - one on the top grate, one on the bottom.

I topped off the water every two hours until I hit the sack. On my last check, I filled up with water as much as I dared. You do NOT want to risk overfilling and having the water dribble over the side of the pan. The water will hit the hot coals and throw tons of ash in the air (and on your butt!). In the morning, the pan was still about 1/4 full (much to my surprise).

I know how you feel. I cooked 4 butts on Saturday
for a bunch of friends/relatives. We were in Port
O'Connor,Texas for the annual fireworks display.
I got hold of 4 butts each about 6.5 lbs. Lit the fire at 0600 using the Minion Method. Meat on at about 0645. "Swapped and mopped" at 1230,1500,1630. Temp held at 235-250 the whole time.Took them off and foiled at 1700.
Grabbed one and it fell apart in my hands!! So did the others. People were stunned at how good it was on a bun with slaw and mustard/vinegar sauce. I am slowly spreading the gospel of pork butts/ribs down here in brisket country!!

Checked the WSM at 2000 hrs and it was still at 240 deg with coals left!! That's 14 hrs with little or no tending. Amazing!
Pat Barnes /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back