Pork Butt In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
Does this sound like they are cooking to quickly? 2 Butts - one 7.5lbs top rack, the other aprox 6.5lbs, bottom rack. 6 hours elapsed time. Smoker temp is 228 on Maverick on top rack - 250 Thermometer in top vent. Top pork butt internal temp 156. Bottom vents closed and top vent open. I had assumed this would take 15 - 16 hours.

Probably a little late in the cook for my response, but sounded like everything was going good. Probably in the plateau as we call it.

Many times I've had butts that weigh the same and look the same to take different times to cook.

As long as your keeping the pit in the 225-250 range, and keeping a check the internal meat temp, nothing much else to go wrong!

Jim

Dave,

You may still be in for a long haul. The temps are just approaching the plateau where they may hang for hours somewhere in the 160's, then drop a couple degrees as it renders, and slowly climb again. Friday night I put an 8lb picnic on at 6pm and at 6 am it was at 160, and I suspect it may have been there for a while. This was done by noon, so it was 18 hours in the 200-230 range.

Whoa....I was typing while Jim was....sorry for the repeat.

jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffr hode:
Dave,

You may still be in for a long haul. The temps are just approaching the plateau where they may hang for hours somewhere in the 160's, then drop a couple degrees as it renders, and slowly climb again. Friday night I put an 8lb picnic on at 6pm and at 6 am it was at 160, and I suspect it may have been there for a while. This was done by noon, so it was 18 hours in the 200-230 range.

Whoa....I was typing while Jim was....sorry for the repeat.

jeff <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mornin' Jeff!
icon_smile.gif
Whats smokin'?

Jim

Dave,

First off, love your avatar.

Second, I think you'll be fine, as Jeff said you're still in for a long cook. All being true that your therms are accurate, you will hit the plateau soon and it will sit there for hours in that 170 range. Don't rush it and don't worry, pork butt is hard to screw up.

Thanks guys - It's 9:30am. I'm at about the 13 hour mark. I've rotated the butts and stirred the coals. I'm at 225 smoker temp and 163 internal. It's been in the 160 range for quite a while. The WSM keeps on smokin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back