Pork Butt Cook short on fuel

Patrick B

Hello all, Two nights ago I cooked 3, 5-6 lb butts. Used the minion method and all went well till about ten hours in. The fuel i used (Kingsford) was pretty much used up. I used a full ring of charcoal and followed minion to a tee. I had about 4 more hours of cooking, any suggestions to refueling that would last that long? The butts came out very good, just foiled after a while and oven finished, but i want to finish on the smoker next time. Thanks all

Could cold weather & wind have been a factor?
In the Wisconsin summer I can make a full ring of Kingsford go 16 hours. In the winter it may only last 9-10 hours. The weather definitely makes a difference how long your fuel lasts.
If it looks like the coals are dying out (8 hours or so), I just throw a bunch of unlit coals on top of the lit ones and I'm good until the end of the cook.

I would have to agree. I just did a rib cook this weekend and I realized that the charcoal was burned off a lot quicker than usual. It was cool, not bitter cold, but it was windy. I just added some unlit coals and it was fine.

When you add unlit coals be careful and use charcoal tongs or something else so you do not burn yourself and can spread them evenly.

Around 10 hours into a Minion Method cook the coals may start dying due to ash accumulation. Try giving a WSM leg a few good taps or even stir the coals gently.

As far as adding unlit goes, it's been my experience it's better to add a few unlit every few hours than to put too many on all at once. Maybe 12 briquettes every time you top up the water pan until you are certain you won't run out of fuel.

Your pit temp can take a real hit if you put too many unlit on. I dumped a lot of unlit on once and my pit temp went down to like 170ºF and took a couple of hours to get back to 225º.

If you add enough unlit to cover the top of the ring one or two layers deep, restart the Minion Method by throwing some more lit briqs on top of what you added.

The overnight I did a couple of weeks ago:
outside temp: 22*, no wind
full ring of kingsford
dry water pan
ran 12 hours without touching at 235*
then ran another 4 hours at 220* +/- after some coal stirring and ash management

I think the big reason why I had such good fire was the pan being dry and that I started my fire (minion method) with only about 12-15 briquettes, and used a dry pan. In the past, I've started with 20-30 lit briquettes and I don't seem to have as long a burn (maybe too much fire?)

Hope this helps,

Rob

Reading your reponses makes me think it was the weather that ate my fuel up. It was 30ish and slightly windy, and i dont have a wind block. I just improvise most of the time with stuff lying around. I ran the temp at 250 most of the time and am supposing this might have been the reason the fuel went also. Thanks for the tip though, will definately add charcoal as i go along till i think i have enough. Happy new year all!

Back