Pork Butt Basting Question

Jo Rhi

TVWBB Member
I'm attempting my second Pork Butt smoke tomorrow. I notice that most of the postings on Butts suggest basting 2-3 times during the cooking process. QUESTION: Do most folks remove the lid, baste, then quickly put the lid back on...or do you attempt to squirt the baste through the vent holes (using a squirt bottle)?

I have never basted any meat on the WSM. Never found a need to. I guess it would help the very outside from getting dry but it won't penetrate the meat so i don't bother.
icon_smile.gif

I never baste anymore either.
I don't notice any difference (baste/not baste).
Plus, I'm almost always sleeping the entire cook anyway so it's not even possible.

I take the top of to baste, in answer to your question.

I basted some spares last weekend for the first time, and didn't notice much of a difference. Though, I it seemed more fun to baste, I went out and bought a small spray bottle and everything. Sometimes for me, the fun factor is more important than if it actually does anything or not.

I also take the top off to baste. I use a spray bottle also. But, I always wanted one of the string mops. So I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a string mop for 97 cents. I am going to cut the handle shorter and use it to baste.

I baste spares with pineapple juice, I take the lid off and spray them with it. I don't bother to baste anything else. Don't really even need to baste the ribs, but I like the flavor from the pineapple juice.

Back