Pork Butt Attempt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I attempted two pork butts today...about four pounds each, both on the top rack. Final cooking time was 7 hours at which point I had reached internal temp of 192F. The first four hours were at 225F but up to 270 by the end.
The finished product was very tough in some parts. Only a small portion was soft and tender. Did I cook too fast at too high a temp? Could it have been bad meat?
This is the first time I've used the smoker and been disappointed. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Hi Steve, I think that even though you had a reading of 192 the butt was probably undercooked. Did you check temp in different spots? The 270 temp I don't think hurt most likely just didn't cook long enough to break down the connective tissue.

Chach

I agree with Ines. If I remember correctly, the butt is made up of 7 different muscles, which all cook a little differently.

It's also possible your probe was too close to the bone, or the thermometer may have gone bad.

Connective tissue takes time and when cook a small butt or brisket for that matter forget time and cook until tender.
Time and internal temp are a clue but you must also check for tenderness and continue the cook if it's not tender. You can do it with the probe of the thermometer stick in different areas of the meat and you can feel if it's done.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back