Pork but marathon

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can someone tell me if 14 to 15 hours is a normal length of time to smoke a 7 lb. butt? It was actually in 2 pieces which I thought would take even less time! The outside temperature was 55-60 degrees, but the smoker temp (at the grate) was 230-250 degrees. I used the minion method, but had to add charcoal a couple of times since I didn't add enough to start(thinking it wouldn't take so darn looooonnngggg)!

I don't like to post too many questions at once, but since I'm getting ready to smoke another butt, I had to ask!

Thanks,
Alan

That's about right, sometimes it may take even longer. The butt will sit in the 160*-165* range for quite a while. During that time the connective tissues are breaking down and the fat is rendering out. Rule of thumb 2hrs per pound. Every piece of meat has its own properties, some finish faster than others. Basically it's done when it's done.

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the feedback. I feel better knowing that I didn't do something terribly wrong!

Alan

times can and do very a great deal I've had ver very long cooks and some shorter cooks as well so its done when its done and low and slow is the way to go!!!

Yep, about 2 hours per lb. is about right. On butt, load up the ring totally full, with just enough room to heap a flaming chimney-load on top.

Thanks John,

I was actually wondering about the specifics of the Minoin Method for this long of a cook.

Thanks!
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back