pork and chicken cooking

Nicole

TVWBB Member
Hi folks

Well I have the chicken and pork ribs(country ribs}on now. It's my second smoke, and my first brine. I'm still having a little trouble getting the charcoal good and lite. I've never really used it before. My husband usually does all the grilling on our weber grill, but the smokers mine. I have a chimney, but it doesn't stay lite long and i have to do the no no and put more liter fluid on it. Any advise

Just keep adding newspaper till going good, weber makes fire starters that you can use, or if you have a turkey frier set the chimney on that untill going good.
It takes too long for the lighter fluids to burn off in a smoker and you will taste it on your food if you don't wait long enough.
Jim
PS: if you have a weed burner they work well to start the charcoal.

I was wondering how your second cook was going.

What are you using to start your coal at first--paper? Has the coal been around for a while? Stored outside, perhaps? It will absorb moisture and be harder to light, if so.

Take two standard sheets of paper towel, and wad into a ball the size of a tennis ball. Place on charcoal grate, and spray liberally with PAM. Light it and place the chimney on top. In 20-30 minutes you will have a chimney full of nicely burning briquets.

Charcoal lighter fluid = bad.

Well, I'm maintaining about 230 temp so it's ok for now. I don't think I'm getting it hot enough at first. I know when I put the meat in, the temp may go down, but it's only reached 230 so far.

Nicole

Did you start with one chimney of lit and add a chimney of unlit? What is/was your target temp for the cooker before you put the meat on?

yes, one chimney. I added a few more after that. My last reading was 246 and the chicken was 141. I want 150 for the chicken and I believe 190 for the pork. i think the temp is going up as the meat cooks.

150 is too low for chicken, imo. Is it a whole one, or pieces? 190 is too high for the 'ribs', also imo. Do you know if they were cut from the butt or the loin?

They are chicken breast with bones and the ribs are just a butt cut up. I've had them on since about 3:30

Thank you Kevin and Jim. There done and resting right now. I just have to fry up my corn. Have a wonderful evening and a wonderful weekend.

Thanks Nicole

Happy
Hardi Gras

Back