Porcelain woes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonnie Mac

TVWBB Fan
This one is kinda odd... I was doing a "deep" cleaning today on the performer so I removed the bowl for the first time in about a year. I found that the porcelain is flaking off pretty badly in this area. This is my heat side for every cook, doing nothing abnormal really. Usually minion method although I have done quite a few normal single lit chimney cooks as well. This is the lower back side and was not that way when I put it together a year ago.

Just wondering if others have ever seen this. No big deal at all, man I use this thing at least 3-2 times a week! You wont pry it from my smoke filled body!

But I also don't want any rust on this beauty...

heat.jpg

I'd definitely call Weber's customer service. They should replace it for you. No way that should be happening to a Lime Green less than 5 years old.

Ive heard that when you stack your pile of coal against one side when doing indirect cooking, that the heat right up against the edge can do this to the paint on the outside. Thats why I guess they give you the charcoal baskets to use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jered Crews:
I'd definitely call Weber's customer service. They should replace it for you. No way that should be happening to a Lime Green less than 5 years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This stands to reason, however the porcelain directly on the inside actually touching the heat is perfectly fine. Looking very closely, this seemed to be an area of flaw under the surface. It is a VERY odd pattern.

in other posts i mentioned that the porcelain on my kettle was cracking where i stacked the coals. i never noticed it until a few very, very hot cooks using k comp. that stuff was glowing like a blast furnace. i plan on making a barrier kind of thing that gets the coals an inch or so off the kettle. i don't like the baskets as they are limiting.

yeah..those baskets are certainly limiting. I just put a beef sirloin roast on about 15 minutes ago,and had my basket full. It just didnt look like enough for a 3 pound piece of meat, so I put my heat bricks down and filled the coals behind them. Hoping my red performer doesnt flake like Lonnies green did.

Let us know what Weber customer service says. I am hopeful that they will do the right thing and a new lime green bowl will be on its way to you very soon.

Pat

I should be honest my friends... Having Weber replace this bowl was really the last thing on my mind. To me, if this is what happens stacking the coals like I do (and most do) then well, I just better keep this area real hot from now on!!!!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back