Poplar wood for smoking?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm getting a load of oak and poplar for the the fireplace.....not knowing for sure if I can tell the two apart. Obviously want to use some in the wsm....is poplar ok? what is it similar too?

Poplar is not good for smoking. The smoke is described as bitter and acrid. Hope you can figure out which is the oak.

I asked the question in a previous post thinking the soft wood of the poplar would not lend itself to good smoking. The response was that the poplar is a deciduous tree (losing its' leaves in the fall) and therefore ok to smoke with. Just because a tree loses its' leaves makes it a good smokewood does'nt go over well with me. Hardwood is one thing, deciduous is another. Don't think I'd try it, but if you do let us know the results.

Poplar will be alot lighter (weight) than the oak. I can remember helping my grandfather tear down an old house a long time ago. It had rough cut lumber throughout. I had to load the boards on the truck. You can tell a big difference in the weight of an oak 2 by 4 and a poplar 2 by 4!!!

If my childhood memory serves, even the smell of a poplar tree being felled by a chainsaw was repellent. Beavers like to gnaw on them, though...

Poplar is generally a lighter color than oak. Oak will have a slight "tan" look to it where as most poplar is generally a bit "whiter". As mentioned the oak will be quite a bit heavier than the poplar and the poplar will be much softer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back