Polska Wedzona

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
A mild, Polish sausage that can be made as a fresh, or smoked sausage. The formulation below includes Cure #1, which is required if you are going to smoke the sausages. If you opt not to smoke them, increase the percentage of salt by .25% (or whatever your preferred salt % is when making sausages.)

Meat: Pork shoulder, and any fat trimmings or belly needed to achieve a 70/30 lean to fat ratio. Traditionally Wedzona is ground through a larger plate, but I prefer the texture when ground through a 4mm/small plate. Adjust plate size to your liking.

Spices: All spices are listed as a percentage of the meat to be used in the batch. Multiply your meat weight by the percentage of each spice to get the amount for that batch. Ideally, weight your meat and spices in grams for best accuracy.

Salt 1.8%
Cure #1 .25%
Sugar .25%
Pepper .2 %
Thyme (dried) .2%
Garlic (fresh, minced) .8%
Water (cold) 10%

Mix spices into water then pour over meat. Mix by hand, or in a meat mixer to distribute spices. Continue mixing until meat/spice mix is VERY sticky! I like to stuff right after mixing, as I find the mix will get stiffer as it sits and makes stuffing harder. Link to your preferred size, then smoke or not as desired.

NOTE: Keep the meat as cold as possible before grinding, after grinding, during mixing.

Back