Pollo asado - for chicken tacos or fajitas

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Pollo Asado - Mexican grilled chicken - either taco (chunked cut) or fajita style (served with grilled peppers and onions).

This cook was 7 boneless thighs and 4 boneless skinless breasts so adapt your amounts according to your cook.

Kosher salt to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
Black pepper to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
1 Tbs granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
1 Tbs chili powder - I used extra hot
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to your taste buds)
1 Tbs chili flakes - or more if you want heat
2 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup cooking oil - I like cooking olive oil that, not evoo as cooking olive oil is already heat treated
4 Tbs frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbs dried oregano - rub the oregano between your palms as you sprinkle it onto the chicken. You’re trying to crush it to open up its flavor.

Place all ingredients atop the chicken pieces in a work bowl and fully mix to incorporate and distribute the ingredients so you have an even coating across all the chicken pieces.

Refrigerate and marinate 8 hours or overnight or you can Countertop marinate for 30-60 minutes as your coals preheat. Personally, the fridge marinade let’s the chicken absorb more flavor.

Heat coals to piping hot. And create a two zone setup, for direct and then indirect.

Sear the breasts first over the coals to mark them up and turn 3-4 times. Total sear is maybe 5 mins. Then move them to the indirect side of your grill.

Sear the thighs skin side down for 1-2 minutes. Make sure you don’t burn the skin. You’re trying to produce color but not too much color as the skin will darken when on the indirect side. Flip to meat side down and sear.

When thighs have color, again around 4-5 minutes total, move to the indirect side. Cover grill and cook on high temp, which should be around 400F, for 30 minutes. Breasts can be pulled at 155F and the thighs should be reading 175-180F when the breasts are 155F.

Remove from grill onto a plate, tent and rest for 5 minutes before slicing into jujitsu strips or then cross cutting to create bite sized chicken chunks for tacos/burritos.

Enjoy and post your pics if you make this. All ingredients can be changed to your desired flavor profile. This recipe has a lot of flavor but everything is in balance for how we like food to taste. Not too sweet, not too hot, not too salty. Very balanced.

Recipe feeds 5 with a full compliment of leftovers, almost 50% leftover. We like to have this in the fridge as it’s super versatile for more tacos, burritos, on a salad, mixed into Mexican rice for a rice bowl.

Lmk if there are any questions.

Last edited:
questions:
1. What is the name of the recipe?
2. What is the source of the recipe?
Pollo asado
I’m the source. This is my own aggregation form making this dish 100’s of times.

I can tell you my inspirations. It’s a few people and restaurants and lots of convos with chefs over my journey.

Pollo Asado - Mexican grilled chicken - either taco (chunked cut) or fajita style (served with grilled peppers and onions).

This cook was 7 boneless thighs and 4 boneless skinless breasts so adapt your amounts according to your cook.

Kosher salt to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
Black pepper to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
1 Tbs granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
1 Tbs chili powder - I used extra hot
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to your taste buds)
1 Tbs chili flakes - or more if you want heat
2 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup cooking oil - I like cooking olive oil that, not evoo as cooking olive oil is already heat treated
4 Tbs frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbs dried oregano - rub the oregano between your palms as you sprinkle it onto the chicken. You’re trying to crush it to open up its flavor.

Place all ingredients atop the chicken pieces in a work bowl and fully mix to incorporate and distribute the ingredients so you have an even coating across all the chicken pieces.

Refrigerate and marinate 8 hours or overnight or you can Countertop marinate for 30-60 minutes as your coals preheat. Personally, the fridge marinade let’s the chicken absorb more flavor.

Heat coals to piping hot. And create a two zone setup, for direct and then indirect.

Sear the breasts first over the coals to mark them up and turn 3-4 times. Total sear is maybe 5 mins. Then move them to the indirect side of your grill.

Sear the thighs skin side down for 1-2 minutes. Make sure you don’t burn the skin. You’re trying to produce color but not too much color as the skin will darken when on the indirect side. Flip to meat side down and sear.

When thighs have color, again around 4-5 minutes total, move to the indirect side. Cover grill and cook on high temp, which should be around 400F, for 30 minutes. Breasts can be pulled at 155F and the thighs should be reading 175-180F when the breasts are 155F.

Remove from grill onto a plate, tent and rest for 5 minutes before slicing into jujitsu strips or then cross cutting to create bite sized chicken chunks for tacos/burritos.

Enjoy and post your pics if you make this. All ingredients can be changed to your desired flavor profile. This recipe has a lot of flavor but everything is in balance for how we like food to taste. Not too sweet, not too hot, not too salty. Very balanced.

Recipe feeds 5 with a full compliment of leftovers, almost 50% leftover. We like to have this in the fridge as it’s super versatile for more tacos, burritos, on a salad, mixed into Mexican rice for a rice bowl.

Lmk if there are any questions.
@Brett-EDH Looks great I but do have a question re: temps. You say to pull breast at 155 when 165 is safe cooking temp. Does the foil and 5 min rest carryover to 165?

@Brett-EDH Looks great I but do have a question re: temps. You say to pull breast at 155 when 165 is safe cooking temp. Does the foil and 5 min rest carryover to 165?
155° pull and rest will get you to fully cooked. I’ve never measured temp after the rest but I can assure you that at the breasts thickest part, 155° will yield an all white, cooked and juicy breast. I always stack with multiple breasts in the tray so there’s a bunch of extra residual heat.

Have you noticed any texture issues from the long marinade with pineapple? I‘ve seen some recipes with pineapple call for shorter marinading times and they’ve said it’s to avoid texture issues but I’ve never confirmed it for myself.

Have you noticed any texture issues from the long marinade with pineapple? I‘ve seen some recipes with pineapple call for shorter marinading times and they’ve said it’s to avoid texture issues but I’ve never confirmed it for myself.
Great question. For this lat cook I did a single day, around 8 hours and didn’t notice any protein breakdowns.

Since the recipe is 4 Tbs and those are diluted in the neutral oil and lime juice, I don’t think there’s enough pineapple to cause that squishy protein results.

I’ve also noticed a difference when using fresh pineapple purée versus frozen concentrate. The fresh purée tends to break down proteins faster.

I wouldn’t exceed an 8 hour marinade. The chicken absorbed plenty of flavor in the 8 hours. I don’t think it’d get “better” with more than 8 hours.

From my own experiences, I have used fresh purée in steaks and have noticed degradation when going longer than an hour. Not sure if the frozen concentrate’s enzymes are less aggressive than fresh pineapple.

I think Guga did a video on pineapple over time. And the effects were noticeable.

I personally see the transition on my flank and skirt when I use fresh squeezed lime and tequila ( not sure if the tequila helps or not )
I try for 2 to 3 hours of marinade which carries over very well.....Once I get past the 3 hour limit I see it kind of start to change....
I make sure as I plan for food that it does not exceed 4 hours......
Just a heads up on the beef.......this is all I know.

I personally see the transition on my flank and skirt when I use fresh squeezed lime and tequila ( not sure if the tequila helps or not )
I try for 2 to 3 hours of marinade which carries over very well.....Once I get past the 3 hour limit I see it kind of start to change....
I make sure as I plan for food that it does not exceed 4 hours......
Just a heads up on the beef.......this is all I know.
If you’re putting that acid directly on the protein, and have no other fluids to dilute it, then yes. You’re making ceviche when you have a high concentration of acids to protein.

When I do fresh lime juice on seafood, and also adding in the zest, I find I use less fresh juice in the marinade as seafoods tend to cook in acid.

I think the key is you’re enhancing flavor here. Use only the amount of acid you need to achieve the flavor profile.

Give the recipe a try if you’d like. It makes some really good chicken.

If you’re putting that acid directly on the protein, and have no other fluids to dilute it, then yes. You’re making ceviche when you have a high concentration of acids to protein.

When I do fresh lime juice on seafood, and also adding in the zest, I find I use less fresh juice in the marinade as seafoods tend to cook in acid.

I think the key is you’re enhancing flavor here. Use only the amount of acid you need to achieve the flavor profile.

Give the recipe a try if you’d like. It makes some really good chicken.
yeah I have looked at it a few times now, thinking about givin it a go....I have what I need I think.
And yeah the marinade for thin steak for tacos includes the lime and tequila, but as well much more water and equal parts olive oil to the water.

Back