Poll: Carbon Steel or Enameled Griddle?

Would you prefer a carbon steel or enameled accessory griddle?

• Carbon steel

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Enameled

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
Edited to add stainless steel to the poll.

Weber released the 7672 Crafted carbon steel griddle in the USA and 7682 Crafted enameled cast iron griddle in the EU and UK. They're essentially the same price.

Many American reviews of the previous enameled Weber griddles wished for a bare carbon steel version, and Weber obliged. But, did they make the the right call?

Considering the pros and cons, which would you Weber nuts prefer?

Last edited:
I would be worried the enamel would crack/chip after a while. I would go with the plain carbon steel one unless someone could convince me that the enameled one was very durable.

I would be worried the enamel would crack/chip after a while. I would go with the plain carbon steel one unless someone could convince me that the enameled one was very durable.
My 7599 has been very durable for the 2 years I've had it. I use metal tools on it and store it outside. So far, so good. If it had a better shape with more cooking area, I wouldn't be looking at the Crafted griddles.

That said, carbon steel is pretty much indestructible. If it gets rusty, just season again.

I see plenty of rusty Blackstone griddles for free or cheap here, so I wonder if the Weber gasser users will be up for maintaining the carbon steel, or will they get scrapped. Sadly, they fit in the giant trash cans we use, so I'll never see one to pickup!

Last edited:
Enamel can crack/chip/craze, but mostly it won't be as non-stick as carbon (once seasoned). Carbon will be a little thinner too, and will heat up quicker and be lighter. Just my opinion from my experiences with skillets.

7 Ways to Compare Carbon vs. Stainless Steel Pans

Carbon and stainless steel pans both come with unique strengths and weaknesses. Consider these seven areas in which you can weigh the upsides and downsides of each type of cookware:
  1. 1. Corrosion resistance: Carbon steel pans—particularly blue carbon steel pans—are corrosion-resistant, but stainless steel earned its name for a reason. The former will likely develop rust, while the latter will fend off these signs of age.
  2. 2. Dishwasher safety: Carbon steel woks and pans call for handwashing, as they can warp in dishwashers. Stainless steel pans, on the other hand, are dishwasher-safe.
  3. 3. Heat conductivity: Stainless steel pans have poor heat conductivity unless supplemented with a metallic alloy like copper, which can help boost their heat retention abilities. Heat distribution, however, is no problem for stainless steel pans. Carbon steel frying pans are much better heat conductors—their cooking surfaces can remain hot even when you take them off the heat source.
  4. 4. Stickiness: While neither carbon nor stainless steel pans are completely nonstick cookware, carbon steel pans do a much better job of repelling sticky food. Apply a nonstick coating to either type for the best results.
  5. 5. Temperature tolerance: Both materials can withstand high temperatures—but food in a carbon steel skillet can take in more heat overall. A stainless steel pan can falter once the bottom of the pan comes into contact with an exceptionally high heat source.
  6. 6. Versatility: Both pan types are versatile. While carbon steel skillets may be better suited to stir-frying and stainless steel pans to sautéing, both are adaptable and can work well for many different types of recipes and cooking approaches. They’re also both oven-safe and function well on induction cooktops.
  7. 7. Weight: While neither type of pan is as heavy as a cast-iron skillet, carbon steel pans are generally harder to pick up than their stainless steel counterparts.

What is the reasoning behind Weber selecting different griddle types for different regions? I bought the UK enamelled version
unaware of the different offering across the pond but am curious.

Back