Polish sausage pork ribs!! again today...still dont know why...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Cooked 6 racks of spares today for the fellows at work. They were good and tender, but I'm still getting the "polish sausage" taste with my ribs,same as my last post regarding this subject. Used a different dry rub this time, so I know it aint that! Any ideas? Comments? Suggestions? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

todays cook:
Sams cryovac spares
Rib rub "Bubba's got a rub"(overnight)
Minion Method
Apple/Pecan smoke
Full water pan
Apple juice mist 3 times during cook
On at 7 am/ Done at 12 noon
Head Country BBQ sauce for dippin'

Hi Jim--
I had problems with a certain brand of ribs tasting like what I called "hammy". Do you recall the brand of ribs that you bought??? Could that taste be the same as mine ???

[qb]I'm still getting the "polish sausage" taste with my ribs[/qb]

Read the packaging very carefully . There's a good chance that you purchased enhanced ribs. These are definately not what you want and may be the contributing factor towards the "polish sausage" taste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TOM BAUER:
[qb] Hi Jim--
I had problems with a certain brand of ribs tasting like what I called "hammy". Do you recall the brand of ribs that you bought??? Could that taste be the same as mine ??? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cannot remember the brand. It sounds like the same type taste though. Where did you buy your ribs at?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
[qb] [qb]I'm still getting the "polish sausage" taste with my ribs[/qb]

Read the packaging very carefully . There's a good chance that you purchased enhanced ribs. These are definately not what you want and may be the contributing factor towards the "polish sausage" taste. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I dug up the pack from the trash,whew nasty! Anyway, it just says "pork spareribs brisket bone off", MEMBERS MARK brand which is Sams brand. What is causing this hammy flavor and what do I need to look for?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Warren:
[qb]What is causing this hammy flavor and what do I need to look for?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>See if there it states ENHANCED anywhere on the package. Also look for a listing of ingredients on the package and see if any type of liquid and/or solution has been added.

I don't think Sam's sells any enhanced ribs, but then I don't recall ever seeing any ribs branded "Member's Mark" there, either-- just IBP in cryo or generic in styro trays. The package must say if they have anything added.

The rub, maybe? Too much salt? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

The longer the rub is on ribs the better the chance of getting a hammy flavored rib. Try the same cook and put the rub no more than 2 hours before the cook.
If they are enhanced you need even less time on the ribs.
Jim

Sam's sells NO enhanced ribs.

No idea how you can get a Polish Sausage taste in a rib. Like Jim M mentions...too long with the rub may have that effect. I usually do overnight...but even at that, the total time is no more than several hours......6-7 maybe.

You sure the things were done? The spares Sam's sells are huge and cooking them for 5 hours seems awful short on time. You cooked 6 racks of these in the WSM? That also makes me wonder if they were done in that 5 hour time period. That is a lot of meat for 1 WSM!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] Sam's sells NO enhanced ribs.

No idea how you can get a Polish Sausage taste in a rib. Like Jim M mentions...too long with the rub may have that effect. I usually do overnight...but even at that, the total time is no more than several hours......6-7 maybe.

You sure the things were done? The spares Sam's sells are huge and cooking them for 5 hours seems awful short on time. You cooked 6 racks of these in the WSM? That also makes me wonder if they were done in that 5 hour time period. That is a lot of meat for 1 WSM! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I did 4 of the six racks using 2 weber racks and wooden skewers to curl aach end, and a co-worker did the other 2 racks on his "Smokey Mountian Series" 36" vertical smoker(that he bought from me.) We did a side by side cook. All ribs tasted the same. Only he had to tinker with his fire and add coal. I did not! I still had enough heat and coals left to smoke a Chevrolet. They were done in 5 hours. Checked internal temp. 170 to 180 on all racks. They were tender, juicy, and tasted good, but still they have a "hammy" taste. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jim---
The brand that I had a taste problem with was Swift's. They were St. Louis cut. They looked fine and didn't taste bad---it's just that I expected more of a pork and smoke taste and not "ham". I contacted Swift's and they were more than glad to refund my money---if I had the original package with all the info on it and my reciept. I had none of that so was unable to get a refund but learned a lesson--- I purchased the ribs from a local grocery wholesale house and don't hold them responsible. I'm sure it was done at the packing plant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back