Polder Probe Problem and their response

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I own 3 polders (ordered my new thermapen today) that i use for various purposes. My latest one just died, it is the dual temp for both food and oven. The food portion of the thermometer is broken. I used it in my smoker one time, never exceeding 250 degrees. I emailed Polder to tell them it is 3-4 months old and it broke. Though i explained the use in the smoker and the temps, she asked "did you use it in the smoker or oven". I said smoker, never over 275 degrees. I was told, it is an oven thermometer, not a smoker thermometer and that i probably need a new probe. Basically, she is not willing to warranty the item b/c it was used in a smoker, despite the fact that it should not make a difference as long as you aren't at "grilling" temps. Sounds like an excuse not to cover it. I find that amazing. It's a $10 to $15 probe and she is looking for an excuse not to cover it under the one yr warranty.

I sent her my response and reaction, so stand by, I'll let you know how it turns out. So far, we have been emailing for 3 days, awaiting her agreement to mail a new one, but instead, looking for a way to decline the warranty.

Is this typical?

I had a Polder also and got no response. Used it once the second time put probe in the meat and regestered 315 degrees F right out of the fridge. I bought mine on line and was told sorry about your luck. Thought I would get the last word and wrote a review of the product. Decided to read current reviews and low and behold they was running like 99 to 1 against this model. So now before I buy anything on line I look for reviews. Buyer beware. Wish you luck.

I'll still get the last word b/c i'll buy a new one and return the broken one. A new probe will only cost me $10 but it's the principal of it. A poor product is one thing, but to make excuses and not cover it under warranty when it's 3-4 months old, based on being used in a smoker, that's a joke. The part costs them about $3.

These thermometers are relatively inexpensive. They sell a lot of them and the markup is probably small.

Would they sell more because of great service? I don't know.

Could they charge more and provide better service and warranty? Yes, but if the price reduces their sales they won't do it.

A few years ago a car company had the choice of putting in a part that would save lives or not and save money. They would make more money by not putting in the part and paying for any suits that later ensued. Sometimes it's all about money and not the customers.

Russell

Back