Polder clone/Maverick probes not interchangeable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Through some testing I have found that the probes from my two thermometers are not interchangeale. I'm looking for others experiences with this to confirm or contradict this as temperature control is an important part of good BBQ. While I apologize for the length of this I think the data I have accumulated supports the conclusion that the probes between these two units are not interchangable as I had previously assumed they were.

The thermometers I am using are the Williams/Sonoma Remote Thermometer (made by Maverick), The Taylor (polder clone). I also have an actual Polder and a second Taylor base to verify readings form the probes. The probes I'm using are the original probes that came with each of the respective units.

Before starting my midnight cook for Brisket I checked the probes in the Taylor and the Maverick.

In the kitchen The Maverick probe in the Maverick unit read 74 and the Taylor probe in the Maverick unit read 69. The Taylor probe in the Taylor Unit read 74.
My first hypothesis was that I could use the Taylor Probe in the Maverick unit interchangeably but that I should account for the 5 degree temperature shift but this was proven incorrect.

For the first 10 hours of my cook I used only the Taylor Probe inserted in the Maverick unit through a potato resting on the top grate (next to the Brisket).

I was concerned that throughout the night I had to fight to keep the temperature down as the reading was running hot (I even called Weber Dave at 2:30 am. Thanks Dave!!!) I had all vents fully closed and was reading 272 until I shut the top to get it to the 240 range)

I battled the temps all night thinking I needed to beat them down or risk shoe leather tender brisket. This morning at around 10:00 am I figured its time to get a probe in the meat to start looking for those desireable 180's so I switched the Taylor probe in the potato on the grill to the Taylor(Polder clone) base and inserted the Williams Sonoma/Maverick Probe into the Williams Sonoma/Maverick Remote Base and found that my readings were MUCH different than the 5 degree difference I had observed at room temperature. Heres the data

Williams Sonoma/Maverick base w/Taylor probe measuring grill temprature 286

Taylor base w/Taylor probe measring grill temperature 233

Williams Sonoma/Maverick base w/Williams Sonoma/Maverick probe measuring meat temperature 158

Williams Sonoma/Maverick base w/Taylor probe measuring meat temperature 138

Just to be sure we weren't dealing with a bad probe I took a Taylor digital insta-read and inserted it next to the Williams Sonoma/Maverick probe. It read 153

I also had an extra Taylor base with a new Taylor Probe and older Polder base that I tested to see if we had consistent results. The new Taylor probe I started to cook with was reading 239 while the new one was reading 242 I will call that statistically insignificant.

So its 13 hours later since I started my midnight cook and I am just coming out of the Plateau as the meat temperature is rising steadily and slowly. No harm done to the cook other than the meat is taking a bit longer than expected (as I was cooking lower and slower than even I intended). But hey ...this is Barbeque isn't it?

Conclusions:

Williams Sonoma Maverick Probes for Williams Sonoma Maverick units.
Taylor or Polder Probes for Taylor or Polder units. I do still believe in the interchangeability for Polder and Taylor units

The things we will do when we have too much time on our hands!!!!!

I have also verified that Polder probes will not fit in Nu-temp remote sensors - the connector is a bit too short. The Nu-temp probe will fit in a Polder - but I have not been able to verify that they WORK, due to problems I'm having with my Nu-temp probes.

And, to state the obvious, Polder dual probes (for what they're worth) will not work with anything else - and visa versa.

Hi,
All the probes are thermistor based units. A thermistor is a resistive device that changes resistance based on temperature. These particular units are negative coefficient thermistors so their resistance goes down as the temperature increases. Typically at room temperature they measure 220 Kohm for the Taylor and Polder units.

How these devices work is that the thermistor in the probe is interfaced with a capacitor in the base to provide a bias voltage in a circuit that essentially provides a pulsed output to a counter. The counter counts the pulses based on the temperature. The more pulses the higher the temp.

Nu-Temp/Maverick may have a different value thermistor in their probe and that may affect the end results you are seeing.

The common experience among users (and myself) in this forum and the BBQ forum is that you can interchange the single probe models of the Taylor and Polder and Pyrex units. I experience minor differences in readings with the probes interchanged and tested with a candy thermometer in boiling water and ice water. Others have reported compatibility between their Taylor/Polder probes with their Maverick units but this has not been confirmed elsewhere and your tests and info provided on this topic identifies potential compatibility issues.

Thanks for the info!

regards,
PrestonD

Thanks Preston,

By the way your other detailed post on the mechanics of these untis was very informative thanks a bunch. Now if I can find a thermometer that has Hi and Lo temp alerts for Grill temp. I'll sleep better during those overnight cooks!!!

I understand about the high and low alarm limit capability...I am in discussion with the Taylor folks quite a bit. I can suggest such a device...also want a wireless thermometer.

regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back