Point/Flat - Separate Before Cooking?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I've read a few posts about doing this, but not anything very definitive. If you have tried this and would care to share your thoughts on the pros and cons, I'd be most appreciative.

JimT

NO real reason to. Due to more internal fat, the point cooks quicker then the flat. However, that same fat prevents the point from overcooking while the falt comes up to temp (or texture).

I have always left the whole brisket in tact. I would think that it helps protect the thickest part of the flat (my favorite) by staying attached.

The only thing I will do with a brisket.... is remove the hard fat.

When I got home from work, I refined my search and found quite a bit of discussion on this topic. Almost as much as "fat up, or fat down?"

One thing is for certain. I'll be smokin' a packer this weekend, point and flat surgically removed from each other. Beyond that, my mind isn't made up.

Still looking for thoughts,

JimT

Before I do a packer, I will most always PARTIALLY split the flat from the point - makes it much easier to separate after cooking, especially if I'm cooking it for someone else that's not particularly experienced in separating the two muscles.

Now if I have a particularly large brisket, say 16 lb or over, or one that's just longer than usual, I will completely separate the point from the flat, and lay them down together on the grate in their same original configuration, just lapped over a little more than they were to save a few inches. I may also set the two pieces at a bit of an angle if I need to, in order to get them to fit better on the grate. Thus the benefits of cooking flat and point together are retained, and the size issue is solved. Even though they're stacked on top of each other, though, they WILL cook faster than a solid packer, so watch your temp and your "waba-waba"s. Better yet, ignore the numbers on your thermometer, and when the thermo probe slides into the meat like it was sliding into soft ice cream, and you can't tell if you're sliding into lean or a fat pocket, wrap that puppy up in a few layers of foil and throw it in a dry ice chest for a few hours to have a nice nap, and prepare your taste buds.

I always keep the hard fat trimmings to tuck under the ends of the brisket to catch the brunt of the heat coming around the edges of the waterpans. You still get the tasty burnt ends, but you avoid BURNT ends, if you follow me...

Keri C

Dang Keri, I wish I would have read your post before I threw that trimmed brisket fat away last night!

Anyway, I had trouble actually finding where the flat and point meet on the brisket I'm smoking tonight. I'm planning to separate the point and flat after cooking, but... Will it be easier to spot then? Should I be looking on the fat cap side? I've looked at Chris' brisket page, but my packer doesn't have an obvious line where the grain changes.

Mike ,

Don't worry about finding it. You'll see it when it's done. I'll take a small paring knife and probe around the point to separate before I do the final. You'll feel the different texture.

Mike,
Due to the fat layer between the point and the brisket, it'll separate easily when you take it off the smoker. You'll actually be able to grab the point and feel the difference between it and the flat. On some larger briskets where the two sections aren't clearly visible I'll grab the meat with a golved hand and use my fingers to find the place where the two muscles connect. Then I'll use a knife and separate the two.

Here's a pic that might help.
seperatingflatpoint004.jpg

Back