Please ID my new project.....

Just picked it up and need help with model/year..... I figure it is a circa 1990 Platinum 3000? The shelves are real wood - the previous owner painted them. Gonna restore it myself over the next few weeks!
grillbefore01.jpg

From what others have said - I would guess it to be a Genesis 2000 (3000 would have a side burner).

If you want to know for sure:
-Pull-off your Burner Gas Valve knobs
-Remove the metal plate underneath them.
(you only need to un-do a few screws)
-If you're lucky, you'll still have the model number and Serial Number sticker under there. If so, jot it down, and chech Weber's excellent "Parts" Website link.

Check out what JustinL did with his - he did a FANTASTIC job. (Just look a few posts down from yours.) It's very similar to yours, except his has the side burner.

I've got a more "basic" version - but it is still a full-size, 3-burner unit. Youy're gonna love the way these things cook!

Hey Jonathan, that should clean up just fine, every part you may need is still available. Burner tubes, Flavorizer bars, grates, igniter, and if you want to replace all of the wood Weber sells "Durawood" which is the same size as the wood pieces but are plastic. The Durawood will run the cost up of your project. I've refurbished over 25 of the Genesis grills and they can look brand new with a little work. Enjoy, if you get time be sure to post some photos of your completed project.

Changed the burners today - everything fires up fine! I plan on picking up some of the heavy duty grates and bars from RCPLANEBUYER on Ebay. Going to the lumber store tommorrow to see what is available - decided against Durawood for now in order to give it that resto/mod look. I'll definitely post some photos when I get started.

Hey Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum! Very nice find. That will clean up very nicely. As Ron G. mentioned (thanks for the very nice compliment Ron!) I just restored a 3000 in similar shape so any questions feel free to ask.

As far as determining what it is, do as Ron mentioned and find the model number and serial number. I would also recommend calling weber support and giving them the info. They can tell you what it is and when it was made. They can also help you with any parts that you will need with your restore and may even comp. some parts. One quick piece of advice would be that Weber charges a flat $7 fee for shipping so I would get a list of parts you will need, give them a call, and order everything in one order. Don't be like me and do 3 $20 orders from them and pay $21 in shipping
icon_eek.gif

Anyways, have fun and feel free to ask questions.

Thx Justin, I looked carefully at your restoration - It looks great! I especially like the look of the pine slats that you made. If you had it to do over again would you still do the pine or maybe a hardwood? For me its a toss up - many people love the durawood because of its longevity and ease of maintenance. Real wood just looks very nice to me! Classic
icon_smile.gif
I will decide tommorrow after my trip to the lumber store.

Thanks for the compliment Jonathan. I really enjoyed restoring it and can't wait to see what yours will look like finished.

I agree, I love the look of the real wood. To me that's what sets it off. I also looked into the durawood but like you highly prefer the look of the real wood. My main reason for the Pine was the price. I had originally looked into teak but wasn't able to find any in the area and more than likely it would have been more than I was looking to spend. The pine cost me about 20 for the wood, 15 for the finish, and 5 or so for sand paper and other supplies, so for about $40 I had everything I would need. I can't really speak as to the longevity because its only been a couple months but so far so good.

BTW...What color is yours? I just looked at your picture and noticed it's not black, the lid is just up
icon_smile.gif

For the wood slats - if I were you, my choice would be based upon three key factors:

-How much am I willing to spend?
-What kind of weather exposure will my grill get?
-What resources do I have available for the wood?

If the thing will sit outside, exposed to a lot of rain, Pine may look nice for a while, but without regular maintenance / varnishing / painting, it will tend to rot.

If you have access to some, I would recommend Teak. It is strong and rot-resistant - once you get some, you would just need to sand it and periodically apply a natural penetrating oil, which would also look nice.

Marine Plywood of sufficient thickness, cut into strips, with a nice veneer, may also look and work nicely.

If you have any cabinet shops or marine / boat restoration people in your area, if you ask them nicely, they may be able to point you to somewhere where you could get some suitable wood / maybe they could sell you some scraps that you could cut-down, if you have access to a decent table-saw.

Just throwing-out some ideas for you to chew-on.

Those slats look like redwood and not in too bad of a shape from what I can tell from your pic.
You can try to brighten them up with a solution of oxy bleach and water and use a de-greaser to lift and remove any grease spots.
If you have access to a surface or thickness planer you could shave a hair off all 4 sides.
Or after all that you could just flip them over so the good side is up. Just make sure you use SS fasteners if they are redwood slats.
Good luck

Tim

Mine has a black lid. I've set aside some time Saturday to get started. I may go with bamboo for the slats because of its durability - may be forced to go with the durawood because the Z brackets may be rusted. The wood slats are not all usable - some are dry rotted!

Bamboo never entered my mind - but now that you mention it, I like the idea.

Maybe check with some local flooring distributors (Lumber Liquidators), and see if they have some bamboo flooring / a damaged bundle box that you can buy-up cheap. Mohagany would also work nicely if you can source some locally.

I wandered around Home Depot today and looked over some wood for my Weber. They had pressure treated lumber for outdoor decking that I considered - but it was soft. There was bamboo in the flooring section - but I discovered some douglas fir in the trim section that was already ripped into strips the same dimensions as the weber slats. Since it makes the project easier I picked it up - I figure a properly sealed hardwood would make a good substitute. Picked up some paint for the frame. I'll start a new thread when I start the restoration process this week.
HomeDepot.jpg

Back