Platinum C refresh

JDeBuhr

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Platinum C grill, I have known this grill since it was new. My dad bought it when I bought a Silver C the same year. My silver C frame rotted away so I got his Platinum when he bought a new grill. I need to replace the Grates, Burners and Flavor bars and plan to get the QuliMetal ones on Amazon, I might buy the Weber OEM burners unless the QuliMetal ones are solid.

Anyway, what is the best to clean all th stainless with to make it look newish again?

I have a plan for fixing the rotted bottom of the cabinet and add some bars for the legs..

Looking forward to using this grill for a few more years

Welcome to the forum J, and good luck on your project! Don't hesitate to post pictures and ask those questions. Bar keepers friend works great on stainless steel and you can pick it up anywhere.

You will get a lot of people telling ya BarKeepers Friend. MEH I still to this day don't get it. If it's brushed finish good ol' plain ammonia or Windex with green scrubbers works great with little work followed up by a quick polish with a microfiber cloth. EZPZ instead of working your hands to the bone with BKF. If it's polished SS then degrease with something like ammonia and maybe then use BKF to get the shine up a bit. But it's an awful lot of work

That's a nice grill. Well worth saving. Not too many of those SS frames around. I got the "Votenli" stainless flavorizer bars from Amazon and they seem to be really nice. I got the Qulimetal 9mm grates (also from Amazon) and they too are pretty nice. I used original (used) burners with original plastic spider guards.

Welcome to TVWBB, J. That’s a definite winner there, and with some elbow grease and parts should give you another long run.

As has been suggested, post some pictures so we can see exactly what you have to work with. I am not sure, for example, what you mean about adding some bars for the legs.

If you are meaning horizontal pieces to take the place supporting the legs, I agree. You can purchase stainless steel tube frame to do that. It’s not easy to work with but will last indefinitely like the rest of the frame.

Here is what I did for the bottom of my Platinum I sadly sold when I moved from Florida:

5037F94B-A040-4C20-95CF-1BBC8FBD6FAC.jpeg
E76EE439-239C-4139-B114-FDBE86D11C5C.jpeg
C561BBF8-241C-415A-BD7E-B48BBF939255.jpeg
F2AAD1F9-DD1F-4FDB-B2B3-28E971DC38D2.jpeg

Yes the horizontal brace to hold my new floor and doors on. There is a patch bracket holding it together right now.

As for the grill grates, outside of the size differences of the QuliMetal 7mm vs 9mm is there a benefit to one or the other? What size do the current Webers use?

I think most members here would say thicker is better. 7mm is certainly adequate, but 9mm grates have a lot more mass to hold heat and tighter spacing.

Weber has used many types of grates over the years. For stainless I am thinking some were as thin as 6mm, but 7mm may be more accurate. They never did thicker stainless until the Summit and now on the special edition versions of the more recent Genesis grills.

There are a lot of options out there. The favorite here are those made by Dave Santana known as “rcplanebuyer” on eBay. Last we heard he is not making grates right now due to supply issues. Those Qlimetal grates - both 7mm and 9mm are very nice.

I started this comparison years ago, so prices and availability have changed. It might still be of use in evaluating current offerings. I added the new Qlimetal 9mm to the comparison.

Thanks that is some good info.. before I go searching, does Dave still make grates, it did not look as if that was confirmed?

I will probably do the QuliMetal ones.. I still have the original stamped grates (2 sets actually) but both have some welds that broke and it is time to change them.

Back