Plateau question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

For the past couple of smokes (2 briskets and 1 chuck roast) I have been seeing my plateau occur in the 135-140 degree range. This will then stall for up to four hours before starting to go again. The cooking temps that I have been going for have been between 225-250. Is this a normal plateau range and length or is there something else going on. I am using a maverick therm. Any help will be appreciated.

Aaron,

Things sound to me like thay are going just fine . The first 100*f comes fast" From the safe holding temp (35*-40*)".Then things slow down some and will stop for hours at times . Just hang in there and let cook. You will find that each cook may may not act the same , it is ok , each hunk of meat will have its own personality.

Rick

Aaron, had some butts that did that to me two weeks ago. I went to bed at 10PM and they were at 142. When I woke up at 6:30 AM they were at 147. As Rick says, every cook is different

also, different cuts of meat, and certainly different kinds of meat have different typical ranges for the plateau. For example, I find that my butts generally hit their plateau around the low 160s. They'll stay there for a long time - sometimes 6-8 hours, depending on my smoker temp.

For beef, I see my plateaus hitting a bit lower than 160s - usually in the 150s. I don't think I've ever hit one in the 135-140 range, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Has a lot to do with how fast it got to the 135 and the kind of meat and the intramuscle tissue and lots of other stuff I don't understand.

biggest question is, how did your smokes turn out? Did you like them?

Adam, forgot to mentioned that these butts were brined. That might account for the lower plateau.

Thanks for the replies. The food turned out great it just has been taking longer than would like. Last 12 lb. brisket took about 21 hrs to get to 190.

That seems really long for brisket. Mine usually take 1-1.5 hours to cook at 225 grate.
Most of the time they really cook closer to an hour a pound.

Have you checked your therms for accuracy?

Back