plateau anxiety

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
I'm doing two 7lb flats and 12 lb of butt for my dads birthday party today. The meat went on last night at 8:30, hoping to to get done between 9 and noon.

By somewhere between 1 - 2 am the flats were at 160. I decided to let em go. This morning they were still at 160 until about a quarter past nine when they started moving up. It's now 9:45 and they're passing 166.
icon_mad.gif

I'll see if I can stand the wait til 170 then foil and finish.

By the way, I added an extra grate in lower half to stack the flats fat side down one over the other and the butts are over that.

Joel I've had the same problems with flats.

It's a mystery to me how I can sometimes get a 12 lb packer to cook in 14 hours and a 7lb flat can take the same amount of time. (I know lots of theories ans such)

That's why this is an art and not a science I guess.

Absolutely.

Got them up to 190 foiled in the oven, they've been in the cooler another hour and I'm off to the folks.

I'll report the results later.

Well the results are in.

Certainly the best brisket I've done yet. Good texture, break apart tender but not soft. Moisture seems to fade quickly. I poured the juices from the foil over the sliced meat. The butt was great as always (can't beat it).

Got rave reviews.

For the brisket nothing special. I did add some broth mixed with KC Masterpiece when I foiled. For the pork I did serve Carolina Red from Smoke and Spice (it always goes over big) and Piedmont Mustard Sauce from Paul Kirk (first time I tried it - liked it).

I need to develope my sauce repertoire!

Back