plastic handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
ok, i know, its another rant on the plastic handles. but this is about the color grey. what posessed them to do that ? they get dirty immediately. it looks awefull and i'm constantly cleaning them. europe gets black and we get this junk. i seriousely would like to kick some weber butt. they always talk about marketing but then totally ignore those that use them daily. so heres to you weber
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

Well my 2010(AD) wsm came with the light gray and im with you george why WHY!

And i have the same on my platinum 22" -08

Havent seen the black handels at all here in sweden.

Yea I hear you George!
I've been thinking of painting mine flat black for awhile. Just haven't decided between HH enamel or outdoor resin patio furniture paint.

Tim

the plastic handle on my 26.75 (got it this year, so I guess it's 2010 model) gets hot enough to get a bit uncomfortable. It's been a long time (12 years?) since I last had a weber kettle that had a wood handle. But I think I remember it was always cool enough not to bother me. Any mods to make the handle cooler short of finding old wooden handles? Thje old ones probably wouldn't fit the 26.75 lid anyway.

Well George, your post finally gave me the extra push to just do it.
icon_wink.gif

I took the 3 handles off the OTG and gave them a good scrubbing with some de-greaser. Than used a wire brush and a med grit sanding sponge to rough up the surface. I used the HH enamel ( cause I already had it )
Anyhow I wish I would of took a before picture ( cause my handles looked like toilet ) but now they look like this
icon_smile.gif

Tim

for sure let us know how the paint does sticking to the plastic. for me i would go with a black paint but yers do look cool ! but, there is always that, i think i will pursue my wooden handle fix. just gotta get a few projects out of the way.

I like being able to see the crap on my gray handles. It reminds me to clean it. If it was hard to see the crud, do to darker handles, I might just forget. Kind of like "If you can't see it, it's not there."

I had an old 22.5 kettle that finally was beyond repair (after almost 25 yrs!), and I went & bought a new OTS...To my dismay it had come with those ugly plastic handles. Nooooo!!

So I posted a item wanted ad on Craigslist asking if anyone had any old wooden handles, and to my surprise, someone responded and actually mailed them to me at their expense!

So it is possible to snag a pair of wooden handles to put on your grill without too much effort in finding them.

Sometimes you just gotta ask!
icon_smile.gif

Btw, anyone know what's a good method of "restoring" old wooden handles? Thompson's Water Seal?

Tony, welcome to the forum!
I too used craigs list requesting wood handles, offering $5 each or a trade with the plastic handles.
The only responses I received were from the local escaped loonies. Think i ran the ad almost 8 weeks...
Sand the old wood handles then layer several coats of tung oil, allowing 24 hours dry time between coats.
Anyway, glad to have you with us, enjoy your stay
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Wittrien:
I posted a item wanted ad on Craigslist asking if anyone had any old wooden handles, and to my surprise, someone responded and actually mailed them to me at their expense! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Too funny, Tony! I saw that ad and thought, "Good luck. Who's going to give up their wooden handles?". Glad you got them...I guess it's true, "Sometimes you just gotta ask!".

Welcome to the board!

as to the wooden handles, i just sand and then give them several coats of mineral oil. some will varnish, etc to get that shiny look.

The Weber charcoal grills in the UK now come with a bolt on ( rather than welded) handle with an integrated heat shield - I much prefer the older welded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back