PK 360 Grill vs. Kettle

Curious what folks thoughts are on the PK Grills

I have a 22" Dove Gray Perf Platinum in the basement since it doesn't fit on my patio (22" WSM, Large BGE, vintage Genesis). The side table of the Performer is just too large for what I've got going on. The problem with my current setup is I don't have enough grate space to do direct cooks when we have folks over. The large BGE really doesn't work well when cooking for 6-8 people, so I'm relegated to the Genesis.

I was going to get a 22" regular kettle, then ordered a 26". But I've always had an eye on the PK Grills. A place local to me carries the 360.

Thoughts? I know sq inches doesn't compare to the 26". But really, for just grilling (I have the BGE and WSM for low and slows) the PK would fit the bill size-wise

You may want to PM member Preston B. I know he owns one and loves it. IIRC he also has Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. I think he might be in your area. Here's one of his threads using his PK.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/brined-spogos-pork-tenderloins.82281/

Thanks, I have looked at them up close. One thing I really like is that there are two bottom vents. Seems like it would really help with 2-zone, vs the Weber one-touch in the middle with coals banked

If you ever want to get rid of that Dove Gray, I think there are plenty of people who would be excited to buy it.

as for the 360 - pretty sure that thing will survive the apocalypse. Seems like PK Grills are a great investment

I love mine. The way its setup you really can get a good amount of food on it. With both side tables on i think its almost as big as a performer though just measured and its 4’6” from side to side. Also I would recommend buying it online they run deals straight from PK all the time. Right now its $100 off with free shipping and i believe atlanta grill company is always $799.

I get tempted down the rabbit trails of all kinds of different grills, but I am trying to stick (mainly🤣) with my designated “Big Three”: Weber, Broilmaster and PK. The PK Original and the larger and more modern 360 have a lot to offer. Solid cast aluminum with cast in hinges and vents means nothing to rust. Even the frame tubes are all aluminum. Theses things get passed down as heirlooms. I have an Original and a Duchess kettle, both of which are close to 60 years old! The new PK grills offer stainless grates, too.

The original PK company folded back in the 70’s, but an enterprising guy who was smitten with the PK design and cult following revived the company, buying the name from Charbroil who had acquired it. He setup shop in Little Rock, Arkansas where the company had last been located. The new Originals are made there, while the 360s are made in China. (All the comments about the 360 I have read attest to its superior build quality.)

Cast aluminum radiates heat well, and PK fans are as fanatical as any Weber kettle user. The one negative I see is that you basically have to provide a pan on the ground to catch ashes, as the PK Original doesn’t have any provision for ashes. The 360 has a more modern vent design, but still no ash dump. Give George:george: credit for putting an ash pan underneath the Weber kettle fairly early on and for later adding the One-Touch sweep design.

I hope to get some grilling experience with my PKs once I get them unpacked fro my recent move, and fully operating. They are used a lot in steak competitions, but there design makes them equally suited to low and slow bbq. I will post comparisons to Weber kettles.

Thanks Jon;

After watching some youtube videos and putting some thought into it, I'm going to stick with the 26" primarily due to size. I really want the ability to easily cook for 6-8 people and I don't think the PK 360 can hit the mark with that. I'm going to keep an eye out for a PK oiginal on the usual marketplace sites

That looks pretty cool. How big is it? Looks like maybe the size of a turkey?
I was looking on their site the other day and it didnt say. It has a cool accessory the hibachi i think they called it but you can flip the lid and put it in this stand and basically you have a grill and a hibachi if you need to feed more people.

Back