Pizza Stone for 18.5" Kettle Pizza

Jim W

I received the Kettle Pizza set-up for my 18.5" Weber Kettle as a gift. In the past I've gotten fine results using a pizza pan on my gas grill. Now that I have some serious equipment, I want awesome results. Is there a certain pizza stone you would recommend? Or should I look in to the Baking Steel? I sure would appreciate any advice you can give.

Jim there are some great threads on here for making pizza if you do a search. Did my first one the other night. We bought a stone but I'm sure there are plenty of opinions either way.

Jim, Steel can be great in the home oven (although the 1/4" thickness of the overpriced Baking Steel
is inadequate IMO) however in a grill situation you will be much better off with a stone of sorts.
With the steel your bottom crust will be toast (burnt toast) way before the top has a chance to finish.
Way too much thermal conductivity. A stone (properly preheated) will provide the thermal mass needed
and transfer it much more gently. If you have a ceramic supply store anywhere nearby you might consider
a 16" round kiln shelf.

@Gary S I did a search, but didn't find anything specifically about using an 18.5" kettle. A lot of threads mentioned the Red Sky Pizza Stone, but it looks like it is made exclusively for the 22.5". I want to know how large of stone I should get for my set-up.

@Gary S I did a search, but didn't find anything specifically about using an 18.5" kettle. A lot of threads mentioned the Red Sky Pizza Stone, but it looks like it is made exclusively for the 22.5". I want to know how large of stone I should get for my set-up.

There is a post right underneath yours that should help

Last edited:

Back