Pizza on a kettle with a clay saucer

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
On the Weber Mod Forum, one of my friends is talking of using a pizza stone as a heat sink, rather than using a clay flower pot saucer. If its sauce ofr the goose, its sauce for the gander
icon_smile.gif

I bought a housebrand frozen pizza from my local grosserie. It was a sausage & pepperoni combo.

My 18.5" kettle was prepared with 3/4 of a chimney of brix spread on the charcoal grate and a 14" clay saucer on the upper grate - all vents full open - let heat for about 10 minutes

I sprinkled the frozen pizza with sliced mushrooms and chopped onions. Microwaved it for 5 minutes then put in it kettle for 5 minutes.

Talk about a nice crisp crust - and it didn't heat up the kitchen!

Interesting idea Rich. I've been meaning to buy a pizza stone, but may hold off and buy a large terra cotta saucer; I'm sure it would be less expensive.

Of course if you are using a clay saucer in your water pan, you can just take it our and use it for pizza.

If you buy a saucer for pizza, do try it in your water pan
wsmsmile8gm.gif

A charcoal fired Weber kettle with a pizza stone has to be the closest thing to a brick pizza oven you can do at home.

I'll have to get a pizza stone for my kettle.

I've been cooking frozen pizzas in my Weber Spirit gas grill. Preheat to 400F and cook according to box directions with lid closed. Thin crust pizzas go right on the grate. Thick crusts are on a pizza pan to prevent the bottom from burning before the top center is done.

I've been reading about the clay saucers here with interest. Does anyone know if those saucers contain lead or other harmful ingredients in the clay?

Rita

Back