Pittmaster IQ 100

Andy Kay

TVWBB Member
Used my Pittmaster for the first time yesterday. I never thought it would work so great comparing the price to some of the higher brands.

All I can say is I started the fire low and set the Pittmaster at 275 with the top vent 1/2 open.

I frequently checked the temp with my instant read (6 seconds) thermo and it stayed within 10 degrees the whole 4 hours except when it spiked when the lid was off.

Best grill money I have spend other than the WSM.

Andy

Andy, I couldn't agree with you more. I have the 22.5 WSM and I bought the Auber ATC. I have done two briskets and about a dozen (2 at a time) pork butts; the Auber keeps the temp right around 225 most of the time. I monitor temps with the Maverick remote so I do overnights and sleep confident that it will keep the temp where I want it.

I think that my friend may end up with one and I'm eager to see it. At times I question the money that I spent on mine when all I really needed is something like this. I knew very little of ATC's before my buddy's team got one and he filled me in. I used to chalk them up to just being a BBQ toy. After realizing all of their benefits, I too wanted to be able to lock in a temp and treat my WSM as though I was programming an electronic oven.

With this, you can and at a fraction of the price of other units. You lose features but the core is the same; set a temp and have a controller make it happen.

I just received my PitmasterIQ and used it for the first time today, I feel the same way Andy. It seems to be a well made rugged unit.

I kept a close eye on the temperature by placing 2 different thermometer probe's next to the Pitmaster probe and after getting to temp. it pretty much stayed +/- 4 degrees for a 5 hour cook. Next time I will have the confidence to set it and walk away.

Money well spent.

Rodney

I am waiting for a dry weekend to try again. First ribs were great moist, tender etc. Just a hint of creosote which I noticed but not my guests. Next time I will open the upper vent up to 1/2. The vid on Pitmaster site said 1/8. Has anyone made or thought about making a waterproof box? I saw the other video on Pitmaster and looks pretty good. I would like to make one that would also be used as a storage box for the Pitmaster and maybe the temp gauge and probes.

I made one exactly like the one in the video. I used the exact directions in the video and box turned out good, too bad my IQ110 didnt and I sent it back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fred nevill:
I made one exactly like the one in the video. I used the exact directions in the video and box turned out good, too bad my IQ110 didnt and I sent it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred, why did you return your IQ110.

Rodney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rodney B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fred nevill:
I made one exactly like the one in the video. I used the exact directions in the video and box turned out good, too bad my IQ110 didnt and I sent it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred, why did you return your IQ110.

Rodney </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had gotten mine last winter and was having a hard time keeping temps down. At first it was thought it was because of me trying to use it in our sub zero temps so it was suggested I build the box to keep the cold wind from blowing in through the fan.

I continued to have problems so I had a buddy try it on his cooker and he had the same problems as I did. So I sent it in to be checked and they said nothing was wrong with it but they did me right.

Since then I was told by others that it was because the fan was to big and the colder temps did indeed impact my results and that Pitmaster has put an airflow restricting washer in the tube and another guy who had it on a Big Steel Keg said that there was a bad batch of temp probes and I must have gotten one. I know he had bought the same week I did. I dont know if any of that is true but that is what I have been told.

But like I said the company did me right and I know there have been many people that have gotten an IQ110 without any issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Ketchum:
I am waiting for a dry weekend </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I built the rain box and it works great. Love my IQue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I built the rain box and it works great. Love my IQue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you build it exactly like the vid? Battery powered? Would you post a pic?
Thanks

Bob

[/QUOTE]
Did you build it exactly like the vid? Battery powered? Would you post a pic?
Thanks

Bob[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob - To answer your question, yeah I built the box just like the video suggests. Please note that you will need to get a deep box so that there is enough space under the elbow, when turned down, to run the air hose.

However I did not use the battery "thingermajig". I run my extension cord through the other pipe and into the box where I plug my IQue in.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I am answering your real question, which is more specifically about the battery box.

I can take pictures (i don't mind) but it will only show a box with two elbows sticking out of it as it does in the video.

As far as the battery box, I would just dive in and see how cold the water is. None of the parts would be difficult to get and I bet the guys at radio shack or some other electrical supply store would be more than willing in helping you get the parts you need.

There are a lot of smart people on this website who I am sure would be willing and better able to help you out with any question regarding the battery thingermajig.

If it were me I would start a thread - bet you get your answer soon.

Back