Pitmaster IQue 110 Setup

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
This thing is sweet!

How/where are you attaching the temp probe? Mine came with the clip unattached to the probe.

How are you running the cable?

Does eveyone's bolt run into the charcoal ring? It seems wrong.

Are there any tricks to know?

I attach my probe somewhere close to the center of the top grate. I bought a set of grommets off of the cajun bandit site to run the cable through. I take the alligator clip off so it will fit. My bolt also runs through my charcoal ring but it doesn't affect anything. I did build the box that they have on there web site to keep it safe from the elements outdoors. I have had mine a couple on months and really like it.

Originally posted by carter collins:
I attach my probe somewhere close to the center of the top grate.

Above or below the grate? Doesn't it get in the way of the meat, or at the very least get really dirty?

I have always put mine on top of the grate. It is a little dirty but it doesn't affect it at all. As long it's a couple of inches away from the meat you should be good. I did 2 pork butts a while back both on the top rack with the probe in between them and it worked just fine.

The IQ works great, had mine about 3 months now and just love it.

I usually clip my probe to the top grate or to the end of a thermometer probe.

I used lamp hardware purchased from Home Depot to run my cable through, here is a link that may help. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/94076/wsm-mods

The bolt is quite long, I cut mine to where it is plenty long for the togle bolt but does not hit the charcole ring.

I also purchased on Ebay for $21 and free shipping from Japan a 12v lithium battery pack to power the IQ. I have use it for atleast 5 cooks and it worked great, the longest cook was for approx. 10 hours with no problem. This is great for portability or to get away from a drop cord. I got the idea from this link http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=6049.0

Rodney

I use the probe tree mentioned above on my digi. I try to get it far enough toward the middle of the top grate so that it is above the water pan and away from the outter heat and at least an inch away from the meat.

In some cases this is difficult to do if I have quite a bit on the top grate. In these cases, I just try to keep it an inch or so from the meat.

I did the same thing with the clip before I got the probe tree.

Just wanted to thank Rodney for the Lithium Ion battery pack idea. I ordered one today from ebay for $23. This is going to come in handy on trips to the lake and races where I don't want to run a generator just to run the ATC via drop cord from the RV.

Is it normal for my probe to read higher than my lid therm? I had my IQ110 set at 225. The light was green and the fan was off but the lid therm was showing about 195. Is this normal?

Originally posted by Slade Calhoun:
Is it normal for my probe to read higher than my lid therm? I had my IQ110 set at 225. The light was green and the fan was off but the lid therm was showing about 195. Is this normal?

Yes, because lid temp is not reliable.

I keep a separate probe (running through two radishes) on the grate to judge temps and the ique is pretty close. I am having a hard time maintaining low temperatures with the ique.

Alan, I’m still new to the WSM but not the IQue 110. I agree with you about that bolt. It’s just too long so I sawed the end of mine off and I like it much better. With regard to the placement of the probe most of my experience has been with the Weber kettle and you could put it almost anywhere. However, with the WSM it’s a little trickier. It needs to be away from the sides where all the heat is coming up but not too close to the meat. Like Bruce I bought a probe tree and I think it gives you more options since you can stack your probes but you still need to place it as close to the middle as possible and at least an inch or more from the meat. Finally, I did get one of the 3/8 inch grommets since I have the ET732 and drilled out one of the top grill strap holes. It’s large enough to allow me to run at least three probes through and there is very little smoke leakage. But I still put a small piece of heat resistant tape over the grommet and run the probes through it for a little tighter seal. You now know all of my tricks regarding the IQue 110. By the way, I did use Nomex tape to seal up the entire smoker and I close all of the dampers execpt the for the top which is only slightly open. That way I just let the IQue 110 do all of the work.

Yes I do when not using the probe tree. But when using the probe tree you don't need the alligator clip. The probe tree is made from a high heat resistent silicon and the probes slide through a snug fitting hole which holds them horizontally a few inches above the grate and meat.

Back