Pit is loaded for first cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Prepped 1 brisket, 1 pork butt, 1 turkey breast, 1 slab spareribs, 1 chicken with dry rub last night by 10:00 pm.

Got up this morning at 5:00 am.

Took meat out of fridge at 5:30 am.

Started coal at 6:00 am

Fired up pit at 6:30 am.

Loaded meat at 7:00 am.

Pit up to temp at 7:30 am.

Cruising along good and holding steady at 235 degrees at 8:00 am.

This is great. Glad I spent yesterday playing around with the pit and seasoned it well with lard. Got a good idea how the fire control works. It was pretty cold this morning, about 33 degrees. Was even able to drink a cup of coffee and read the paper (quickly) while waiting for the coal to get burning.

Took a bunch more pictures and will be taking 4 more rolls of film to Wal-Mart for developing tonight or tomorrow morning. Will post ASAP.

Status Report.....10:45 am

Smells great!! yeah, that insulated firebox is great. It could be 0 degrees outside and it would still be cranking along just fine. I had a few spikes up to 275, but just for brief periods right after adding some wood (I'm still learning). The great thing is though, all you have to do is open that big door for a few minutes to get the temp back down to where it should be.

I pulled off the chicken at 9:45 am...only took 2 hours 45 minutes because it is a small bird...only 2.70 lbs. Then the turkey breast was done at 10:00 am with the temp at 170. I turned the pork butt and brisket and ribs at 10:30 am and sprayed with apple juice. They are looking awesome. The ribs will probably be done around 12 noon or 1:00 pm.
My mom made up a half-batch of "ole man Jim's" meatloaf and I added 2 loaf pans of that at 10:30 am. From what evrybody has been saying on the bbq list, that is some killer meatloaf. It was a big hit at the Jack Daniels cookoff.

I keep the exhaust vent wide open and the firebox vents either 1/4 or 1/2 open, depending on the situation.

This is really fun...and taking more pictures of course.

Do you have a recipe for the meatloaf, it sounds interesting.
Thanks
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back