Pit Beef

I do Craig!

get a 2-3lb cut of top round about 3 inches thick. You might have to go to a butcher to get it cut.

Make a rub of season salt, sweet paprika, garlic powder and ground black pepper. Apply rub to both sides.

I cook mine on my one touch gold (weber kettle) and set up a 3 stage fire. 1/3 thick coals, 1/3 thin layer and 1/3 empty.

Place meat over thick coals to sear for 3-4 minutes and then move to thin layer of coals to finish cooking. Total cooking time for this meat is usually 15-20 minutes per side to get mid rare. Check with an instant read therm to get the doneness you want.

After cooking, let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes. After the rest, cut the meat against the grain and very thin. This will give you a tender product as top round is not necessarily a tender cut of meat by itself.

Open a kaiser roll, spread some horseradish sauce on the bottom, then place some lettuce on next...this will keep the bottom bun from getting soggy. Then pile on your pit beef, then a tomato slice, some sweet onion if you want and then the top bun smeared with some more horseradish sauce...ready to eat!

Easy to do and impresses a crowd!
icon_smile.gif
I do pit beef a lot so if you have any questions you can email me..be happy to help!

I do these also, and use top round all the time. I have even ran the Jarccard (sp??) through it on both sides before I cook it on the kettle. I love them!

Back