Pigs

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
A friend of mine just dropped off 3 pigs that where quartered and frozen. I am going to cook on on thursday may use the wsm for some of it and my pull behind grill for the rest. I cooked a whole hog once. Is there anything I should do different for it in quarters.

Not necessarily. It depends on how you want the finish. I'm doing quarters myself for Christmas. I prefer hams cooked to a lower internal. If I flavor brine or marinate I take them to 150-155 if they are fairly large; if they're smaller I go to 145-150. I like hams sliced and don't feel they need to go higher. But you can certainly go higher if you wish.

Shoulder quarters I tend to cook either till pullable (~190) or sliceable (~180).

Attached ribs/loin/belly I either remove ahead of time for a future cook or remove during cooking as those sections reach done.

Thanks Kevin

How to you recomend to flavor? I usually use a rub when I do rubs and butts. I just tried the apple honey brine on a turkey breast that turnned out great. I have heard of some people using a vinger type mop during the cooking. Do you think this help? Should I foil at any point.

I plan on taking them out of the frezzer today and letting them thaw in a cooler and cook them whole and remove the ribs and other parts as they become done. I like to snack when I cook.

Thanks for all your help.

Woody

Woody--

I'm quite fond of homemade mojo and flavor brining quarters or whole pigs. (An example of one of the flavor brines I use is here.) I often make paste rubs for the brined cuts and sometimes make them for the marinated cuts. This year I think I'll do mojo on one quarter and a flavor brine on another. I'm thinking of a mix of water, salt, pepper, lots of thyme, garlic, bay leaves, allspice and a little sugar for the brine this year.

Back