"Piggyback Packer"

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
When cooking a packer, trim the thin part of the flat-about 1/3 of it-place it on top of the brisket during the cook to insulate it a bit and keep from over cooking it. "Piggyback packer".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
When cooking a packer, trim the thin part of the flat-about 1/3 of it-place it on top of the brisket during the cook to insulate it a bit and keep from over cooking it. "Piggyback packer". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

I've read about this concept in other posts, but don't recall any definitve answers. Have you done it? Does it work? How do handle the rub?

I'm really interested in this 'cuz the briskets I can buy around here are marginal at best.

JimT

Jim, I have used this technique for a few cooks. A brisket expert I am not. Like every thing else I just try what makes sense to me. Most ideas get tossed as crazy ideas. This seems to make sense to me. The thinnest part of the brisket needs a little insulation to keep from over cooking it. Soooo I just cut off the thinnest 1/3 and lay it on top of the rest of the brisket for the cook. It still cooks faster than the rest of the brisket.
Rub like you would rub anything else. Beef seems to like a lot of my rub.

Steve, I like your idea and it seems to make sense. How does it impact cook times? Do you measure temps of the two pieces seperately?

I have a 12 lbs. brisket to cook this weekend. If I go "piggyback" do I estimate the time based on 12 lbs. or on 8 and 4 lbs.?

Jerry

Jerry, I try to cook brisket by temp until I can effectively use the fork test etc. I do not know the time per pound-for me its done when its done. The trimmed 1/3 cooks fastest. The rest of the flat comes off next then later I pull the point. My target is 180-185.

Back