Pig nuggets?

Those look awesome. But I'm trying to visualize pork shoulder scraps. Like 'leftover wine' I don't think it's anything I've ever seen in real life. ;)

This was my initial thought as well.......not sure how that works.....kind sounds made up!

There's the saying, pics or it didn't happen :D This was the sheet pan of trimmings that I had to work with and I used the meat in the blue area. trimmed away fat and cut these into small bite sized pieces.

I cut up two costco boneless pork shoulder butts for country style ribs and asked for suggestions for pork butt trimmings. I had some grand ideas of what to cook but got busy and just froze this sheet pan with the intent of grinding it up. I thawed it again planning to grind it up but time got away from me so the next day I went with this idea. Next time I will likely cut up more, portion it out and freeze it so its ready to season and smoke.

1687532446557.png

What a great idea! Easy path is to start with country style ribs (pre-cut strips of pork butt). This one is definitely on my near immediate (whenever that is) todo list. Thanks, @DanHoo !

I cut up two pork shoulders for CRSs and these were the small scraps left behind. Next time I'm going to make more.

I went back and looked at the time stamps on the photos. posting this so I don't have to remember next time.

Lit the coal at 12:35pm. Rockwood lump and a handful of apple chips

pork on at 1pm. Temp was still coming up but the smoke was clean. Temp started at 180F and over the next hour or so climbed slowly to 230F.

I checked at 3pm and then needed more time. I enjoyed a very small piece but the fat was not quite crispy.

4:30 transferred to a baking dish, covered with foil. I did not want a "wrap" but I wanted to steam out some more fat. Wrapped backing dish back on the smoker temp around 230 or 240.

45 mins later I pulled the baking dish off, opened the foil and let the steam out. They were ready to eat, however I wrapped it in a beach towel and they were still hot and tasty an hour later.

That is sure logical. No problem with making your own country style ribs, but store bought is a lot easier and, around here at least, is common and cheap. I'd have to do a direct compare to see if they are less per pound than the butts, but I can also deal with just a pound of ribs a lot easier than 10+ pounds of butt.

That is sure logical. No problem with making your own country style ribs, but store bought is a lot easier and, around here at least, is common and cheap. I'd have to do a direct compare to see if they are less per pound than the butts, but I can also deal with just a pound of ribs a lot easier than 10+ pounds of butt.
I lucked out and got a two pack of boneless for $1.49 a pound on sale.

Looks like the current price floats up and down a little between $1.99 and $2.39 a pound.

This reminded me of something I did about a month ago. I originally set out to make pork belly burnt ends, but ended up winging it based on some suggestions from the family. Looks similar to yours, although I finished crisping them in a CI skillet on the stove. I'd like to try your baking dish idea next time. At least I know what to call them now. :)

Half had a standard rib rub, the other half was SPOG.
1687544925347.png

Smoked them for about 4 hours:
1687545056500.png

Not a very glamorous final photo, but here they are after getting crispy in the cast iron pan. Everyone was a big fan.
1687545139908.png

Knowing how well they turned out, I would totally serve these as an appetizer at the next get together.

@DanHoo That beats any deal I've seen in quite a while. Sign me up! 😆 I just left our new Food Lion and pork butt was 3.49 while the country style ribs were 4.05! 😳 I'll be more careful about what I say henceforth. Meat inflation is hard to keep up with and pretty inconsistent.

Back