Pictures of my new 24" x 60" Klose Pit

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Dave sent me 2 great pictures of my pit. The one with the door down is it getting seasoned. The one with the door up is it getting tuned. There was one problem that ended up not being a problem at all. I originally didn't want a lid on top of my firebox, but the people in the office screwed up and said to make the firebox 3/8" thick with a lid. When Dave noticed what had happened, he had them make the firebox into an insulated firebox. They welded a 1/2" plate on each side and on the bottom all inside the original firebox with special NASA type insulation in between the 2 layers. The top plate slides in and out of the side door to be removed if I want to grill on top. Pretty damn cool indeed!! Man, I am stoked now!! The insulated firebox's cost alot more than the 1/2" firebox's, but since they messed up, there was no extra charge.

Rocky's 24" x 60" Klose Pit Getting Seasoned

Rocky's 24" x 60" Klose Pit Getting Tuned

Rocky,
Great looking pit. You'll really enjoy it. Take some pics of the firebox when you get a chance. I did not get the insulated firebox - let me know if it makes that much of a difference.
BTW - why did you originally not want a lid on the fire box?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

enjoy

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Budman ]

Thanks, I have no need for grilling meat on top of the firebox. I have a grill for that. Also, the firebox loses heat through the cracks of the lid.

Also, the firebox was supposed to be 1/2" not 3/8"

The insulated firebox's are absolutely the ultimate. They usually only get built on to Mobile pits and they usually cost an extra $500-$750 !! They hold the heat so well, that you actually have to keep better track of your wood. This is because it will hold your pit at a steady 250 almost until the coals are out. So, you have to really just time your logs or take a peak in the firebox to check the status of the coals/wood.

With regular firebox's, the temp in the pit starts dropping almost as soon as the wood changes to coals. With insulated firebox's, the pit temp holds steady almost until the fire is completely out.

And, insulated firebox's perform much better for people who live and cook in cold climate. Here in the mountains of western north carolina, we have at least 6-8 months of cool/cold weather. So, I will benefit alot from having this type of firebox.

I just could never afford one before, so the next best thing to do is get a thicker firebox. I was going to get a 1/2" firebox instead of the standard 1/4" for about $300 extra (versus $600+ for the insulated). But, since Monty and the office screwed up my order, Dave had them throw on an insulated firebox for the price of the 1/2" firebox.

I ended up making out because of their mistake. LOL THANKS DAVE

THINGS GET EVEN BETTER !!!!

Dave called me tonight and said that he had Monty go ahead and cut off that firebox that shouldn't have had a lid, and put on a new firebox without a lid (the way it was ordered). And, to make things even better, it was still an insulated firebox!! And, the total thickness of the inside and outside plates of the firebox combined will now be 3/4".

So, everything is exactly as I wanted it and better. It was kind of bothering me that I was getting a firebox with a lid (which I had no use for). I'll use my grill for grilling. And no extra cracks for any air to escape or come in through. The only cracks will be on the door side of the firebox.

Dave went the extra mile to make things perfect for me. This experience has been a true rollercoaster ride with the ending being FANTASTIC!!
My only possible regret about how my pit turned out has been alleviated and things are now truly great.
Now, I have absolutely no doubts that I will buy my Mobile Pit from Dave when that day comes.

Never really thought too much about the "cracks" around the lid. I've not noticed any real issues with mine. I do like using the fire box for a grill even though I've got a 22" Weber Kettle. It's just nice to have the flexibility. There have also been times when I let my temp get out of hand and I can open the firebox lid to get some quick relief.
Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back