Picture of 3/8 grommet installed?

Wayne E.

TVWBB Member
I have a new 18.5 that I am getting ready for service. I have a maverick 732. I have a set of the 3/8 grommets on the way from cajunbandit. These are supposed to replace two of the screws on one of the grate supports.
On this page, three items down.
http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

I had hoped to have received these so I could get all this work done this weekend as the next three weeks are pretty busy, but the grommets are not due to arrive for another 3 days or so.

I was wondering if anybody happened to have a picture of the 3/8 grommets installed and could comment on the O.D. of the grommets? I'd like to find out what size the holes in the smoker body and the grate support bracket need to be for installation.

I'm looking at installing these handles in the two grate supports on either side of the door. The handle holes don't line up perfectly but I will re-drill or bend the handle for fit.

I'm wondering about using the 3/8 grommets for not only the probes, but also to hold the handle on. I don't know if the grommets are long/deep enough to secure the handle also, and I'm wondering about the required I.D. of the hole because there doesn't look to be a lot of meat width wise on the grate support bracket.

If the grommets can't pull double duty per this design I think I'll use the grate support holes for the handles and drill new holes adjacent to the handle for the grommet/probes.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

i-Ds7fpKp-M.jpg

Here are some pics of the installation on my 22" WSM. The outside diameter of the grommet and inside diameter of the collar with set screw is 3/8" so you will be drilling with a 3/8" diameter bit
100_0387.jpg

The flared or flanged portion of the grommet is fairly narrow so I am not sure that I would rely on two of these to mount a handle to the body of the WSM, but perhaps others have done this successfully. I used four of the grommets on mine to install a middle grate between the two existing grates.
100_0391.jpg

Here is a picture of the 3/8" diamter hole drilled in the grate support strap
100_0385.jpg

And a picture of the grommet and collar with set screw on the inside of the body of the wsm
100_0395.jpg

100_0396.jpg

Thanks Terry,

The grommets arrived this afternoon and I think you are right regarding the use of the grommets to hold the handles.

Think I'm going to put the handles on the grate holders and just drill two new holes adjacent for the grommets.

Back