Picnic's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I found fresh picnic's on a great sale so I bought 6 of em totalling 48lbs since I am cooking for about 25-30 people Memorial Day weekend. I have removed the skin portion when I have smoked these in the past. But is it really necessary to remove the skin though? I have never cooked this much meat, I am probably looking at close to a 20+ hour cook, right? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Larry,

I cooked one of these bad boys last weekend - 8.5 lbs - took forever. I did remove the skin. I think if you don't remove the skin, not much rub will penetrate that portion of the meat. There's still plenty of fat inside to keep it from drying out.

I think your estimate of 20 hours should be ok, although mine took 22 + some time in the oven. I kept my temps down to 225 also. I think 250 would have been ok and finished it quicker.

Good luck!

Larry

I've only done one picnic as opposed to many butts. The meat seemed lighter in color and slightly drier, but still very good. If I were going to do another picnic I think I might consider a mop to add moisture. Just a thought.

I did about 30 lbs in one cook and went around 21 hours. Times can really vary. You must have two cookers or you're planning on two cooks.

Another possible thought to add moisture to the picnics would be injecting them. Never done it but there are some post about it. I seem to recall straining WB Italian dressing ? Might impress your guest.

Good luck on a pretty big undertaking.

Paul

First, good luck fitting them all on one WSM! The most I have ever done at one time was 2 butts, 6.5 & 8 lbs and a picnic 9.5 lb (pre-trimmed weights) and everything was done in 14.5 hours cooking then 2 hours resting, foiled in an ice chest. They all pulled like a dream and neither I nor my guests could notice any difference between the butts and the picnic.

I used the mustard slathered recipe here on the site, it may have helped internalize the juices, because I trimmed a whole lot of fat and skin off that picnic.

I cook picnics with the skin on. But, on the shoulder end, I use a boning knife held parallel to the meat to cut through the fat to separate the skin almost down to the joint. This allows me to peel back that flap of skin for applying rub onto the meat.

Then I just lay the skin back over and cook the picnic skin side up. I believe the skin helps to hold some fat and moisture in the meat as it cooks.

When the cook is finished, all the skin will slide right off without any delicate knife work.

I don't know how you're going to cook six picincs at one time on a Bullet. Even doing just four eight pounders, they'll likely have to be pretty cozy until they shrink down several hours into the cook.

You also probably ought to swap them top for bottom sometime toward the halfway point of the cook to even out their cooking times. Otherwise, the top ones will be done a few hours ahead of the ones on the cooler bottom grate.

20 hours seems reasonable for doing four eight pounders at once while still allowing a little fudge factor. Crowding six in there together is sounding less and less like a good plan. In addition to the extra time required due to the reduced circulation, all of your meat is going to spend a lot of hours at unsafe temperatures.

Is it really necessary to cook all of them at this time anyway? If you're feeding meat and side dishes to 30 normal men and women, the yield from three picnics would be roughly 12 pounds. At the four ounces per serving that's used as a ballpark figure, three picnics would feed everyone and still leave leftovers for snacking on.

Anyway, it's something to consider. Food for thought, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back