Picnic vs. Shoulder

yes, smoke them the same. I take the skin off of either (much more skin on a picnic) so I can get more bark.

by the way, both are really part of the shoulder. As far as I understand, the shoulder is really the name for the whole thing. The picnic is the lower part, the butt is the upper part. Put both together and you get a whole shoulder, fresh ham or whatever else you want to call it...

Ham comes from the other end.
icon_wink.gif

Picnics and butts come from the front legs. The butt is the top portion of the shoulder, the picnic is the bottom of the shoulder by the leg itself. The ham comes from the rear legs.

I prefer the butt end of the shoulder. Much less waste and it's just a better tasting piece of pork, way more moist than the picnic cut. Of course this is JMO and YMMV.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Deffinetly take the skin off if you get a picnic. I find the tecture on the shoulder nicer too.

Like others said, still cook the same. Get what you can. There both a fine product and make for some good eats.

Went to Smart & Final this morning (Mira Mesa, Ca) and they had shoulders for $1.39 plus 25% off. Ended up buying their last two. Sweet deal. Just put all four shoulders on the WSM.
Hoping they restock so that I can fill up the freezer.

There are no butts to be found around me today. All they have is picnic shoulder. I have one more place to check out. I wanted to cook a nice 8 lb butt for my family tmorrow and was hoping to brine it tonight.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott P.:
There are no butts to be found around me today. All they have is picnic shoulder. I have one more place to check out. I wanted to cook a nice 8 lb butt for my family tmorrow and was hoping to brine it tonight.
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Scott - go ahead and do a picnic. It will turn out great! I do them all the time.

Back