Picnic vs. Boston

Patrick Stevens

TVWBB Member
This weekend I smoked a Boston Butt for my friends down at the lake, and smoked my first picnic for myself, my brother, and a couple friends. We ended up pretty deep in the beers. The boston butt weighed in at just over 6 pounds, and the picnic just over 7 pounds. I left them on for the exact same amount of time and I know this isn't very informative but I can't recall what the temp was on either of them(see above), although i do know they were both over 190, the temp i like to pull and foil them. Rubbed both of them with Wild Willy's Rub out of Smoke and Spice I think. Anyway I've been visiting the site on a daily basis for years and figured i'd contribute a little. Enjoy.

The contenders

My fire with 3 small chunks of pecan and some All America Charcoal Company lump, if you haven't used it, it will burn nice and slow for 9 hours, best I've found. Only place i can find it is at small grocery chain we have here on the east coast called Ingles.

Got a little rain, so i grabbed the top section and my brother grabbed the bottom and we moved it under some shelter.

Finished products, sorry no pulled pics, maybe next time.

Last edited:
Nice cook. So who won?

I think i liked the picnic meat better than the boston butt meat. Although i didn't have any of this particular boston butt, i've smoked plenty of them to know what they taste like. I guess i shouldn't of named it Boston vs Picnic since I didn't really compare them side by side.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words fellas, I enjoy getting down to the lake and smoking meat. It is just a weekend get away. I just got a craycourt cast iron grate for my kettle back home, I'll try to upload some photos of some cooks on it, try to get more active now that i've figured out how to post and what not.

yeah...that bark looks awesome...it looks like a glazed ham or something.

Funny you should say that, one of my buddies kept telling me it was going to turn out like ham, like a ham you slice for christmas or easter. I was like i'm pretty sure it is part of the shoulder, but by the days end and how it looked on the smoker, he had me talked into believing him, even though i knew better.

Back