Picnic Shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren H

TVWBB Fan
I came across a picnic shoulder today in the local supermarket, it is described as a low salt bacon shoulder in a vacume pack, I am just wondering if I should do anything to remove any salt there may be on or in this shoulder, also whats the difference between bacon/pork/and ham???. This one is only for a trial as I have a huge Butt ordered fresh from the butcher for wednesdays smoke and sure if you are doing one you may as well do two while your at it right!!

Bren....

Bacon is cured and smoked belly. Ham can be one of several cuts, cured and cooked, usually smoked. Fresh ham is the leg, uncured, unsmoked. Pork is pig meat (or monies for questionable 'programs' tacked on to major budgetary legislation by members of Congress to boost their re-election chances).

I've not seen a label like yours (an Irish thing?). It sounds like low-salt cured, smoked picnic ham. What does it look like?

Hi Kevin, Good info in the different discriptions, as for the cut I have, to look at it you would think it's a fresh cut, definately not smoked or cured as we would know it (parma ham) I'd say the salt may be added to give it a longer shelf life of one month. I'm just wondering if there is anything I could do to remove the salty taste before I cook it.
icon_confused.gif

Personally, I'd call the market and ask. If it is actually uncooked then perhaps it's 'enhanced' i.e. injected with a (in this case) low-salt solution. In that event you can't do much except use a salt-free rub.

Though I think it inlikely, if it is uncooked but salted (not injected), you could cover it with cold water and refridgerate for 24 hrs, changing the water 3 or 4 times. That will lessen, but not eliminate, the salt. It doesn't seem like that type of picnic to me though; but hard to tell without seeing it.

Definitely not cooked. I don't get the 'low salt' unless it was injected. No mention of a solution of some sort on the label?

No there is no further information on the label, but I will ask at the butchers counter the next time I'm in the store, I do feel that it was soaked in some sort of salt solution before it was vacume packed.

Wouldn't hurt to soak it anyhow like K Kruger suggested....then rub it with some #2 and smoke'her till 190-205 based on preferrence.
icon_smile.gif

It's to late to soke it now as I've put the rub on it but if it's at all salty in taste I will try another one and soak it over night like Kevin said. I will post more pic's as I go along and show the final result. After all I'm the midweek smoker.

Bren....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back