Picnic Pork Shoulder vs. Pork Butt

Thanks Bill!

Well, I will definitely be cutting it in half.

Gonna start with Pork Belly Burnt Ends tomorrow. The rest will stay in the fridge til I decide what to do...maybe I will love the burnt ends so much the wife will demand the other half be the same...but I want to experiment...so probably something different.

Tomorrow is the day the WSM gets unleashed!

Gonna do a hot burn for a couple hours than settle it into temp and add a couple chunks of cherry wood and do the pork belly burnt ends.

Then chicken wings on Sunday!
Chris, I am not sure where you are in you cooking process for the day, but I have been really thinking about your plans and wanted to share my two cents.
I think you should swap your two cooks for this weekend. I think you should go with the wings today and the pork belly burnt ends tomorrow. Below is my reasoning.
You state that you are going to let it run hot for a while then get it in temp and do the pork belly. I am worried that is going to a hard process and not what you normally would do for a typical cook. New WSMs run hot and once they get hot they sometimes have a hard time coming back down. I think you should like it go hot for a while today and then throw on the wings. Check out the below thread with ways to nail wings on the WSM. Enjoy that as your first cook and your burn in. Then tomorrow start the WSM with a minion method and take you first crack at controlling temps.

Hey Michael, thanks for the info.

I totally agree with you except I am kinda doing it in separate parts and am already getting ready to prepare the pork. With company and such it just works better for me to do the wings tomorrow. People would rather have them fresh. I thought about doing both tomorrow and still might do that...depends on time today and what happens.

My plan is to do the hot burn in and then shut everything down completely and empty (depending on what charcoal is left...using lump for the burn in and coals for the pork belly with 2 cherry wood chunks).

Was gonna put the pork belly on a few hours after that.

Gonna run it on a rack (minion with the 2 cherry chunks) for 2 hours after rubbing with Himalayan Coarse salt, Coarse black pepper, Granulated garlic and Clubhouse Roasted Red Pepper seasoning (a bit sweet)...then put in pan with brown sugar, honey and butter and continue for 1.5 hours. Then separate and toss in 2 different bbq sauces and put back on for 15-20 mins.

Thoughts?

But Michael, I totally see the reasoning for your suggestions!

Hey Michael, thanks for the info.

I totally agree with you except I am kinda doing it in separate parts and am already getting ready to prepare the pork. With company and such it just works better for me to do the wings tomorrow. People would rather have them fresh. I thought about doing both tomorrow and still might do that...depends on time today and what happens.

My plan is to do the hot burn in and then shut everything down completely and empty (depending on what charcoal is left...using lump for the burn in and coals for the pork belly with 2 cherry wood chunks).

Was gonna put the pork belly on a few hours after that.

Gonna run it on a rack (minion with the 2 cherry chunks) for 2 hours after rubbing with Himalayan Coarse salt, Coarse black pepper, Granulated garlic and Clubhouse Roasted Red Pepper seasoning (a bit sweet)...then put in pan with brown sugar, honey and butter and continue for 1.5 hours. Then separate and toss in 2 different bbq sauces and put back on for 15-20 mins.

Thoughts?

But Michael, I totally see the reasoning for your suggestions!
I think your plan sounds good, if you are going to completely shut it down and restart it that makes more sense, I was just reading it as one process and I got worried. Give yourself as much time as you can to shut in down and let it cool down. Again new WSMs can take longer to kill those coals and cool down because there is still a little air flow going in from the parts coming together. I have learned with every part of the smoking process to give yourself more time then less! Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it goes. If anything comes up today post it, we'll try to help on the spot if we can.

You got me thinking...actually considering to do both tomorrow.

Thinking to let the pork belly ends smoke for 2 hours on minion coals with cherry.

Then remove, add some apple and lump on top and put on the wings on while then putting the pork belly in oven for 1.5 hours foiled in pan with the honey, brown sugar, and butter while the wings are on.

Then open all vents up and crisp wings and bbq sauced burnt ends.

All ready to serve about 4 hours in.

thoughts?

Today just let the bbq burn with all vents open until the temp starts dropping...right now the temp gauge is at max.

I think your plan sounds good, if you are going to completely shut it down and restart it that makes more sense, I was just reading it as one process and I got worried. Give yourself as much time as you can to shut in down and let it cool down. Again new WSMs can take longer to kill those coals and cool down because there is still a little air flow going in from the parts coming together. I have learned with every part of the smoking process to give yourself more time then less! Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it goes. If anything comes up today post it, we'll try to help on the spot if we can.

You got me thinking...actually considering to do both tomorrow.

Thinking to let the pork belly ends smoke for 2 hours on minion coals with cherry.

Then remove, add some apple and lump on top and put on the wings on while then putting the pork belly in oven for 1.5 hours foiled in pan with the honey, brown sugar, and butter while the wings are on.

Then open all vents up and crisp wings and bbq sauced burnt ends.

All ready to serve about 4 hours in.

thoughts?

Today just let the bbq burn with all vents open until the temp starts dropping...right now the temp gauge is at max.
I don't think that sounds unreasonable just a lot to juggle. Two meats while learning the cooker will be a lot going on, but embrace that and for it! Add some extra time in there. In my experience 2 out of 3 times the meats take longer then expected and give yourself time for all those steps in between.

Nothing like a challenge. Have the Weber Summit 670 Propane beside me to save the day with any part of it.

I don't think that sounds unreasonable just a lot to juggle. Two meats while learning the cooker will be a lot going on, but embrace that and for it! Add some extra time in there. In my experience 2 out of 3 times the meats take longer then expected and give yourself time for all those steps in between.

Back