Picnic! Damn!!!!

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I ordered a butt in cryovac from the butcher, and when I took it out of the plastic tonight I found out that it was two picnics. Damn!
icon_mad.gif

I don't see anything about smoking a picnic. is it worth doing? Should I take the skin off first?

The picnics I have cooked were skinless. They seem to have more texture, good flavor and, less moist. I thought they provided a good change of pace. Cook em.

All is not lost. Remove the skin and treat it just like a butt. Some people say they find the meat "drier" than butt, likely due to differing amounts of internal fat and type of muscle fiber. You could try a test and foil one after about 165°, and let the other go unfoiled. Note also that picnics are usually quite a bit cheaper than butts-- wonder what rate you were charged?

does the bone act like a pop-out thermometer?
I've had two picnics on since about 8:30 this morning. Temp at the lid was between 220 and 250 (with a drop to 150ish for a bit in the middle). The bone pulled out, but I'm getting a 165 reading in the meat.

I cooked a picnic this weekend. I took it to 195, and it was just right. If I had gone by the bone showing, I believe it would have come off too early.

It took about 20 hours at around 225. It weighed 7lbs prior to trimming.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stone:
so -- picnics take a lot longer than butts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not found that to be the case. I used to do them all the time, now I just use them if I want pork for BBQ sammies. If I want pulled pork, I go with butts. I don't smoke at 225 either, a little to low for me.

I have done several picnic's. After injecting, coating with mustard and putting on a nice coat of rub, I find that they can turn out pretty good. I take the skin off and then treat them just like a butt. I find that they can turn out great. I take them off around 190 to 195 and they pull just fine.

Enjoy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stone:
so -- picnics take a lot longer than butts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not found that to be the case. I used to do them all the time, now I just use them if I want pork for BBQ sammies. If I want pulled pork, I go with butts. I don't smoke at 225 either, a little to low for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
20 hours for a 7 lb (pre-trimmed) picnic? That's a looong smoke. Most butts I've done are ready in less than 12.

Back