Picking up my first WSM today

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm getting my WSM today and plan to smoke for the first time this weekend. Any ideas of what I should try for my first time? Should I use one of the suggestions on the Cooking Topics page?

I have owned a Weber kettle for over 20 years so I'm not a novice, but I do want my first smoke to be successful. So does my family.

All advice is welcome. Thanks.
Peter

Welcome aboard Pete, congratulations on one of the finest purchases you have ever made!

My first cook when I got mine last year was baby back ribs from the cooking section and I followed the directions, and they came out great. I used the BRITU recipe, you can't go wrong...well you can, but it will still taste great!

Most people will tell you go with ribs or chicken for a first cook. To me, nothing says BBQ like smoked, slow-cooked intracostal pork meat, um, I mean ribs.

I am now a seasoned WSM owner of about 45 days, so I can give expert advice now...lol..hehe...

My first cook was a boston butt. minion method...kingsford briqettes....dry rub...coated in yellow mustard. Came out excellent!!! WSM does all the work.

The cooking section here is great. Lots of good advice from the people here on the forum to. I do think ribs or butt would be a good choice for your WSM maiden voyage. Good luck!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like pork butt. It cooks long enough that you get plenty of chances to fiddle, but not so demanding that you really have to worry. Plus, the taste is unbeatable.

Everyone has had ribs, and often they'v had excellent ribs at some fancy schmancy restraunt somewhere.

But few people have ever had fresh smoked pulled pork like the WSM can do. It's always an incredible suprise to someone whose never had pulled port before. Even just pulling pieces straight off the roast and pop it in your mouth with no sauce at all is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back