Philly grill on market place

Sean, it is just like every other curb find wreck. But, I will give it some CPR and give it a new lease on life. I may have to do some amputating and add some prosthetics however.

Figured I could give an update on this. Did a 80% job on this one and gave to my mother. Was in great shape to start but i'm out of paint and running low on hardware so I didn't go nuts.

fully disassembled and mitigated some early frame rust
degreased and decarbonized for the first time in its life
replaced lower cross member insert nuts that had rotted away
patched a lower cross member with some steelstik where it had rotted away and passivated/painted.
updated the regulator to an acme nut
changed bottom tray rails and attempted to beef up one of the posts on the cookbox. Steelstik doesn't really bond well to the aluminum unless I was doing something wrong.
moved the cast iron grates from my backup spirit 700 and got rid of the stamped porcelain ones
replaced center burner
replaced igniter (we really need a solution to the rotting gas catcher)
added some missing frame caps
freshened up the emblem
changed the rod fuel gauge to a new style one that are still available to buy, and i like that style more anyway.
the rocker switch was beyond brittle and broke on me, so i did the best to remount it and lock it in with some clear epoxy, hopefully that lasts.
left the axle alone because i don't have a hoard of new push nuts but i am going to order that mega pack on amazon.
reassembled with select new hardware and antiseize

Didn't document at all really but below is the finished product because who doesn't like a picture of a reborn skyline!

IMG_4831.jpg

Looks good to me and will cook just like new.
what happened to the condiment rack on the right side? Was that lost somewhere along the way?

Yeah, that's the hail mary i tossed on the buy/sell forum but doubt that will result in anything. The previous owner rigged a piece of wood and a few hooks into the rod holders. I moved some tool hooks i had over to it. One thing that is nice on these old guys is that they came with stainless flavorizers, only had one or two that were burned up that i had to change with some spares i had.

Back