Persimmon

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Had to take down a persimmon tree in the back yard. While cutting it with the chain saw, it had a great fragrance (could not believe how tough this wood is). Has anyone used persimmon in their Bullet? If so, what recommendations do you have for quantity (relative to other woods)? When I did my first turkey breast, used a little too much mesquite (5 pieces); scaled back on the hickory for a couple of Boston Butts (to 2 fist sized chunks). Appreciate the advice in advance.

Hi, Skip - welcome aboard. Persimmon is good-cookin'. Similar to peach, in my opinion. I've bought a few bundles of persimmon for the log-burner in the past, and chunked up a few bits out of it for the WSM. If you're using it on a pork butt or even ribs, you could probably go four or five small-to-fist-size chunks with no problem - bury a few down in your charcoal and they'll give you some smoke later in the cook. Drop back to, say, three chunks for poultry or beef. Others will have different opinions on this, but that's what I'd do myself, as most of those for whom we cook prefer not to have a MASSIVELY smoky flavor. You can treat your permisson wood pretty much like any other mild fruit wood.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Skip, Keri is wrong, wrong, wrong. In fact, you don't want that wood anywhere near your smoker.
I will stop by on my way to Salisbury this weekend to help you get it away from your WSM before any damage is done. We'll just fill up the pickup, and your worries will be over. After all, what are fellow WSM's for, if not to get you out of dangerous situations.
icon_rolleyes.gif

OKAY... I'M KIDDING.
icon_razz.gif
Keri is right. Use you wood, and good smoking.
icon_wink.gif

Welcome fellow Charlottean! I would err on the side of too little smoke if you are getting started. Try 2 or 3 for poultry. A little more for a butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back