Performing With A Performer

Spencer P

TVWBB Member
After reading everyone’s high reviews on this site, I decided to buy a Performer. I have had a WSM for about a year now, which was my first Weber product. I was impressed with the build quality so I figured that the Performer had to be made just as well. I ordered it through our local Ace Hardware store just incase there were any problems, I would have a local place to go back to. I also ordered the Weber rotisserie ring. I tried to contact the folks at Cajun Bandit, but they were slow to respond. My fear was that if something went wrong, how would they handle the repair/replacement if I couldn’t even get a hold of them for an order. I was also told that their motor ran on batteries but for an extra $9 they could sell me an adaptor. Since I wasn’t going to be smoking on this grill, I wasn’t to worried about a little gap in the ring that I had read about.

Two days later, our grill, rotisserie kit and cover came in. We brought it home and had it assembled in no time. The build quality was great as I expected like the WSM. Then came time to see how the rotisserie ring was going to fit. I tightened up the bolts on the motor bracket and placed the ring on the Performer. Just as I suspected, it didn’t fit. Oh wait a minute, what are these notches for? As I turned the ring around it fell into place. Weber has cut notches in the bottom of the ring in two places for the bolts that stick out of the lid holder. I thought it was kind of funny that Weber says that this won’t work with the Performer, but in the last diagram in the directions (I did read them after it was assembled!) it shows how to position the rotisserie ring on the Performer! I just started to laugh. I did call Weber and they are making a new ring this year to work with the Performer. They said that the new box would have a “red stripe” on it. My box didn’t have any stripe, but worked like a charm. It was all together and time for the smoke test.

I also ordered an EZ-Que basket from Ebay. I thought this was a great idea, no spearing food. For our first cook, I did a six-pound chicken that was marinated in Mojo for about six hours. I placed it in the basket and set the charcoal in the baskets and put a drip pan under the chicken that was half full of water. I placed the lid on the kettle and sat back. Not having ever used a Weber grill, I quickly found out that I had to add charcoal about every thirty minutes (used Royal Oak lump) to keep the fire going. I was able to hold about 350 in the lid, so I guess I was probably running about 300 at the spit level. In the end, it took three hours to cook this bird. I thought that was a little odd, but dinner was very juicy and tender so I didn’t worry about it too much that night. However, when it came to cleaning the EZ-Que, there wasn’t anything easy about it. It took me over 45 minutes to get all the nook and crannies cleaned up. I thought to myself that next time, I’m going to try the Weber spit.

I had been reading what is in “ground beef” over the past year and lets just say that we now own an electric meat grinder. After a year of trying everything under the sun, we finally came upon a mix that is very flavorful and juicy, even if you like your burgers well done. The ratio that we use is 3/4 chuck roast and 1/4 rib eye steak. This has plenty of fat to keep the meat juicy during the cook and the rib eye brings lots of flavor to the party. The Performer did well with this. I also used the baskets together to get a hot zone with a pan on the other side as a safety area.

I wanted to do another chicken, but I wanted to try something different. I did some reading on this site and it seems as if the basket debate is 50/50. I decided to light the charcoal in the chimney instead of the baskets. I still used newspaper in the bottom, as I wasn’t sure if it would light without it. Any suggestions? I ditched the baskets and divided the charcoal on both sides with a dry drip pan in the middle. Oh, I also went to Home Depot and bought another charcoal grate and put it 90 degrees to the existing one. This worked like a champ keeping the lump on top of the grate. I also was going to use the Weber spit rod this time as it looked as if the clean up was going to be much easier. For the chicken itself, I looked over the Perdue chickens that were in the loose bags that you get without the gizzards and the juice floating at the bottom was thick and cloudy pink. Not my idea of dinner. Right next door were the Perdue “Oven Stuffers” The packaging was vacuum packed and the liquid with thin and clear, much better. The chicken weighed 8 pounds. I wanted to try some Chavetta’s marinade as I read how great tasking it was. I went to our local BBQ store and it was $6 a quart. Seeing how I wanted to marinate a whole chicken, I thought this would get expensive real quick. So I did some research and I found a knock off recipe. The creator did a blind taste test and his testers couldn’t tell the difference between the real deal and what he came up with. That was good enough for me. I made a batch of the marinade up and let it do its thing for about six hours. I trussed the chicken and speared it with the rod. I put it on the grill and started the timer.

This was a whole different kind of rotisserie experience. I was able to keep the lid temp between 400-450 during the cook. About every 60 minutes I had to add a handful of charcoal to each pile. This was way easier than using the baskets. It only took 2 1/2 hours for the chicken to cook! Dinner was delicious. Needless to say, the baskets are now on the shelf and it only took five minutes to clean the spit rod. I also shelved my EZ-Que basket.

Over all this has been a learning experience like when I got the WSM. I’m sure that it will get easier as time goes on. I appreciate everyone’s willingness to share information and help those of us who need assistance once in awhile.

Spencer

Hi Spencer! What a great report of your first 2 cooks. I felt as if I were looking over your shoulder. Congratulations! You did good.

When I use my EZ-Que baskets, I prepare a "bath" for them of hot water and dish washer detergent. (I use the bottom half of a gift wrap organizer that I found at the Container Store.) As soon as I remove my chickens from the basket, I drop the basket and spit into the bath to soak overnight until I can deal with it the next day or after dinner. My basket fits in my dishwasher and I have very little cleanup to do afterwards, just a light scrub with a Brillo pad in a few missed spots. If you get a buildup, you could spray it with oven cleaner and let it sit for a few hours or overnight in a big garbage bag, then hose it off (wear rubber gloves).

I've found that the gift wrap container holds up best if stored indoors. It's not made to withstand ultraviolet, and/or maybe freezing weather.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with their approach to cleaning the baskets.

Rita

Great report Spencer. I have a full EZ-Que set up (both baskets, 50lb motor, etc). It's a great system.

For cleaning I do much the same as Rita. Except I have a laundry tub in the basement I use for soaking. Very hot water and detergent for the soak. I leave it overnight and it almost rinses off. Help the rough spots with a non abrasive pad or plastic scrubbie.

A good strong detergent for spot soaking (spray on let sit before cleaning) is Dawn Power Dissolver. Sometimes hard to find though.

I rarely use the charcoal baskets that came with the Performer. With the rotisserie I typically do piles of coals direct on the fuel grat with water tray in the center. I use some HD foil to fan the tray out to the edges. This completey covers the center area to catch drippings. Water in the tray. I've used those drippings for gravy etc. You just need to keep water in the tray then boil down to use.

Same method is used for grates and rib-o-later.

Anything stainless cleans up much easier.

I rarely use the basket on the performer. With the rotisserie I pile coals on either side direct on the grate, aluminum tray in the center with foil wings to reach the sides. I keep water in the tray so that I can use the drippings later.

For regular cooks, again I just light the coals and load on the grate. I use a coal rake I bought from Tejas for moving/leveling and tongs for fine placement.

I appreciate all the help. I will have to try an overnight soak on the EZ-Que.

For those of you who are lighting your charcoal in the chimney, do you still use newspaper or will the flame reach up into the bottom of the chimney without it? Thanks...

Spencer

I use a Sterno wick (the can works almost as well) under the chimney for about 5 minutes until a couple of the bottom coals catch. The rest light automagically. I like the wick Sterno for my chafers as well.

Others here soak a couple of paper towels with a little cooking oil and light that. And some set the chimney on the side burner of a gas grill. A few use a weed burner...different strokes.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spencer P:
I appreciate all the help. I will have to try an overnight soak on the EZ-Que.

For those of you who are lighting your charcoal in the chimney, do you still use newspaper or will the flame reach up into the bottom of the chimney without it? Thanks...

Spencer if you're asking if the gas start on the Performer can be used to light the chimney, the answer is yes. I use the Weber chimney and when starting the WSM, use this method all the time. Congrats and Good Luck with your new Performer.
Rolf

Spencer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rolf,

Thanks for the reply. The stupid question that I have is do you still use newspaper in the chimney when you use the gas ignition or will it light the charcoal without newspaper? Thanks...

Spencer

Spencer, no need to use newspaper to light your coals on the performer. I simply place the chimney starter filled with coals over the flame, light it, let it go for about 3-5 minutes and then turn the flame off (saves the fule on the propane tank). The coals will take hold from there and usually in about 15 minutes, on a Weber chimney starter that is, they are ashed over and good to go. I hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spencer P:
Rolf,

Thanks for the reply. The stupid question that I have is do you still use newspaper in the chimney when you use the gas ignition or will it light the charcoal without newspaper? Thanks...

Spencer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gas ignition: no need for newspaper or anything else as E. Mercado said. Flame on until the lower coals are going pretty well then cut the flame and let the flame rise through the chimney.

Cool. I will give this a shot. It has been so much more easier to use a Weber grill versus those discount things that you see at Wally World. I appreciate everyone's input and that is what makes this site so wonderful. Thanks again...

Spencer

have you considered the old style baskets? I like them better than the new, aluminum ones..

Charcoal basket on eBay

$[KGrHqZHJD!E8fVUW9UtBPKGHcL8Tg~~60_57.JPG

This is the first time that I have seen these. I might give these a try. Thanks for sending over the link!

Spencer

Hello Spencer. Weber grills are the bomb for cooking, that's for sure. What I use for indirect heated areas, are 1" thick firebricks. You can pick up a set from Northern Tools for less than $20 bucks. They come 6 to a box. They fit just right under the cooking grid if placed on top of the charcoal grid. You can make virtually any shape out of them, including a "hot spot" in the center for searing, allowing the perimeter of the grill to remain cooler for indirect heat. These work better for me than either of the charcoal baskets because they really do contain the heat better, allowing it only to go straight up. I certainly don't want to step on anyone else's toes here, but that is just what I have found to work best and offer better heat control. Good grilling to all.

That is why I like this product so much. It's seems very versatile if you want to try something new. I would have to guess that the bricks would also hold the heat and help stabilize temps if you were doing an extended cook like a chicken. Since I got my rotisserie, I'm never going back to the old way. Thanks again...

Spencer

Just wanted to update this post for anyone who might still be interested. Tonight I was at Sam's and they had a pork loin that was prepackaged in applewood bacon. Pork on pork! Normally I like to create my own brine/marinade, but I was short on time. After reading some of the suggestions about cleaning the EZ-Que I wanted to give it another shot.

I took the pork out of the package and loaded it into the EZ-Que. I prepped the grill and put the meat on. An hour later it was done. The meat was very juicy and flavorful. I think I'm going to have to go to a 12 step program for folks who are addicted to rotisserie foods! Now it was time for the dreaded clean up. I have a 6" tall steam table/hotel pan that I use for other dishes. I filled this with really hot water and some dish detergent and placed the carriage and holders in it. I did take off the handle and drive end to make it fit. This pan was deep enough that I was able to submerge everything under water. An hour later, all the grime came right off with a light scrub. I will look forward to using this rotisserie attachment again. Thanks for the tip!

Spencer

Back