Performer temp too low

Chad C

Have any of you had any trouble getting your Performer temps high? I've been a One Touch user for about a decade and recently upgraded to the Performer. On the old grill, I could consistently get the temps ~550 and above. The highest I can seem to get this Performer is ~425/450. I'm using lump. Anyone else experiencing this?

How did ya measure temps on the old one (location, type of therm)?
I don't own a performer but it's basically a kettle just like my OTG. I get 550 easy measured at the top vent on the OTG with a turkey fryer therm.
The Performer has a built in lid therm right? It could just be giving a reading at a different location.

Tim

I don't get a accurate reading with the thermometer on the performer.I stick a thermometer in top vent to get a true reading.I have not had a problem with high or low heat.I just love my performer.....it's about the only thing I cook on anymore.

I use a Redicheck Thermometer. The main difference between my old OTS and the Performer is the ash catcher pan and the charcoal baskets. Glad to hear that you guys get good high temps. Do you happen to use baskets? Could be a loss of airflow between the ash catcher and the basket(?). Bummer if so. I have to use the baskets to use the propane starter on the Performer.

Chad I had the baskets, gave them to my son cause I just couldn't find a need for them. like Joel I use the chimney over a propane torch on my OTG. Bank the coals on one side, set the lid and vent on the opposite side and can easily peg 550-600 on a fully lit chimney.

Tim

I had similar problems with my Performer compared to my One Touch Gold so I could not blame it on the ash catcher system. I have found through a lot of trial and error that my Performer for some reason does not do multi-zone fires as well as the OTG does. I really have to make sure that I don’t push the coals up against the side because the temp really drops. It seems to do OK if I allow space on all sides of the coals. I don’t understand why there would be a difference between them, but there sure is. I use mainly lump, but this applies to both lump and briquettes.

I remember a similar problem a few years ago. IIRC the member had a OTS and couldn't get the OTG as hot.
He removed the ash pan, and I'm pretty sure his temps got right back up there?

Tim

Have any of you had any trouble getting your Performer temps high? I've been a One Touch user for about a decade and recently upgraded to the Performer. On the old grill, I could consistently get the temps ~550 and above. The highest I can seem to get this Performer is ~425/450. I'm using lump. Anyone else experiencing this?

Try cracking the lid slightly which will get more air flow moving inside.

Great suggestions all! Just keeping the baskets away from the wall a bit seemed to help a lot last night. I was doing chicken indirect, so getting super high temps wasn't necessary. I'm going to try the chimney over the propane lighter thing for my next steak night. For some reason I didn't think the flame would reach the coals in the chimney. I'm sure going without the baskets will increase the temps even more. Once I get to 550, I'll post back with what worked.

Back