Performer owners raise your hand if.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
you have ever finished a cook by using the 'burner' to finish a cook.

First time for me tonight.
Spuds done, corn done, chicken breasts very nearly done, but the coals were pretty much spent.
Unusual for me since I tend to load more than enough to do the job.

It worked fine though!
icon_smile.gif

Never have done it, not yet anyway. Its ok because you know the gas is to start the coals. Its the people that are selling these things advertising that you cook over the gas. I have seen them, pretty funny stuff.

So it generates enough heat to cook I guess?

The thought has crossed my mind, but I haven't ever done it - At least not knowingly. I used a whole bottle of gas in one day a while ago, so I might have somehow left the gas on and cooked half with gas.

-Mark.

I couldn't imagine even wanting to cook over the gas starter
icon_eek.gif

Down here in Australia, the performers have to use one of those butane canisters which cost about $13.00 each and even with just using it for starting coals, I'd be lucky to get 12-15 starts out of mine which means it's costing me nearly $1 just to start the coals so I ditched the idea and don't bother using it at all and just use natural firelighters which are heavily compressed cardboard where you place in the valleys like you do with firelighter cubes.
So, to actually cook on it....no point..that's what charcoal is for
icon_razz.gif

Cheers

Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">those butane canisters which cost about $13.00 each </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gee whiz! They're less than 2 bucks here.

To be clear, I didn't totally cook anything using the starter burner.
The chicken breasts were about 10 degrees from being done.
I only used the heat from the burner to finish them off.

yup, I've done it on a very cold Thanksgiving day morning, while doing a turkey on indirect...just too dang cold to bring the bird all the way.
No complaints, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back