Performer on craigslist

Matt Y. Atl

Hey guys. Today I scored a performer that was listed on craigslist for 50 bucks. This thing had only been used once and doesn't have a drop of grease anywhere.

Two questions. How accurate is the removable temp
gauge. Is this the only thermometer I should use to measure grill temp. I usually use a oven thermometer laying on the grate of my OTG.

The cooking great has what looks like rust. Should I scrap it or is it still usable?

Congrats Matt. That's a great score. The only way to be sure with the therm is to test it in boiling water - it should register 212F, or something close. Regarding the grate, I'd give it a good, hot fire and a grill brush. If that doesn't work, maybe some oven cleaner. If that doesn't work, just spend the few bucks on a new grate. You'll still be way ahead on your investment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Y. Atl:
Thanks for the info. Is it best to measure temp at the grate or lid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on where you are in your cook the temp from lid to grate could vary by 30-60 degrees. Most of us buy Maverick probe thermo's and measure at the grate by sticking the probe through a small potato to ensure that the probe stays put. There is quite a range in prices on the thermo's, everything from $10 single probe units to $75 remote units.

Here is a pic of the way I set my probe up on my el cheapo Maverick. You can that I just perch my readout on the side of the handle.

Ottawa-20110701-00016.jpg

I do have one of these that I use to check meat temp. Problem is it says HIGH after reaching 350. So maverick is the way to go?

Most of us like the mavericks. To be honest, I've never hit the 482 max you see in that pic...but I've come close.
icon_smile.gif

Back